Chapter Twenty Five: Bleeding Love

•But I don't care what they say
I'm in love with you
They try to pull me away, but they don't know the truth
My heart's crippled by the vein, that I keep on closing
You cut me open and I•

Lydia stared at her closet. Should she wear jeans and a nice blouse or a dress? Should she curl her hair? Her stomach knotted up in a nervous bundle. This was absolutely crazy. She had no reason to be nervous. She had seen Luke naked and so much more. This shouldn't make her nervous.

After several more minutes of contemplation, the woman opted for capris and a dressy blouse. She also vetoed the hair curling idea. It felt like to much work and she was starting to tire easily. Growing a human was hard work. Instead, she braided the top half of her hair, letting the rest hang down her back. Her hair was getting long. Maybe it was time to chop it off. She was going to need something much lower maintenance soon.

Lydia glanced down at her watch, realizing it was time to go. Grabbing a light sweater and her purse, she left for the restaurant.

Luke was already seated in a quiet, back corner of the Charlotte restaurant. She smiled softly to herself. He was a creature of habit. As she walked over, Luke looked up from his phone and smiled at her. "Hi," He stood up, giving her a hug.

Lydia couldn't help but lean into the familiarity of his arms. They made her feel safe and protected. Pulling away, the two adults slid into opposite sides of the booth. Lydia picked up her menu, looking over it. Nothing sounded appetizing at the moment, so she set it down. Maybe if she gave it a few minutes.

"Already decided?" Luke raised an eyebrow over his menu. She noticed he had put his glasses on. She loved it when he wore them. Something about them made her swoon. Lydia wondered if he knew it.

"No, this child is picky. I'm hoping after a couple minutes he or she will decide what they want," Lydia replied, subconsciously resting a hand on her belly.

Luke bit his lip, thinking over an idea. Quickly, he stood, sliding in beside Lydia. She gave him an odd look. The man just gave her a smart grin and picked up the menu. Placing his hand on her belly, Luke began to read the menu aloud.

"What are you doing?" Lydia interrupted him in the midsts of the third appetizer.

"Reading our baby the menu until he or she decides what they want," he replied matter of factly. "Let's see, where were we?" He turned his attention back to the menu.

Lydia laughed as Luke continued to read. Biting her lip thoughtfully, she took in Luke's profile. He was so focused on reading the menu to his baby. Their baby. His light green eye went from left to right repeatedly as he read down the many options. She appreciated the way his glasses framed his face, his soft voice, strong jaw, muscular arms, and... She stopped herself. Any further and her pregnancy hormones were going to go crazy.

"Strawberry and Spinach salad. Garden ripened strawberries atop a bed of spinach with walnuts and a house vinga- Was that?" Luke quickly shifted his gaze to Lydia's swollen belly.

"Yeah," Lydia smiled as the baby kicked a second and third time.

"Oh wow," the man moved his other hand next to the first one, the menu forgotten. "Lydia, this is- it's amazing."

"I know," She smiled, taking in Luke's amazement and child-like wonderment.

"I- I didn't get to experience this with Isla."

"Luke, I don't want you to miss out on anything."

"Thank you," Luke leaned over, kissing her cheek softly.