Chapter 9: We'll Start Slow (One-on-One)

Brooke

On Wednesday, my first day working as the club's secret accountant, I walk into Midnight Frenzy with a new lease on my feelings for Linc. It's been two days since he asked me to help him out with the books. Two days since he made it clear we'll never be anything more than friends. Having him spell it out for me in painstaking detail was mortifying enough to make sure I never forget it.

Meaning, when I went to my first intermediate dance class yesterday, I managed to keep from making a fool of myself by falling into his arms. I still got butterflies when he looked at me, and I was still far too aware of him and every move he made, but I was better able to keep things in perspective. He doesn't want a relationship, and neither do I. It's never going to happen between us. I can't allow myself to fantasise about him anymore.

I hurry through the empty club, coming to a stop at the heavy metal door that Linc messaged me the code for this morning. When the text came through, I saved his number and made a conscious decision not to dwell on the fact I now have Lincoln Rivers' phone number.

Having already memorised the code, I enter it into the keypad and wait for the door to spring open. Then I walk through the backstage area, trying to remember how to get to Linc's office. Eventually, I find the right hallway. I hear the gentle tap of his fingers on the keyboard as I walk in his direction.

The door to his office is ajar. I knock on it, then poke my head inside. "Linc."

He looks up from the keyboard and gives me a smile full of warmth. "Brooke. Hey. Come in."

The first thing I notice as he stands up is that he's in business attire – grey pants and a white silk button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. He's clean shaven, and I can smell the expensive scent of his cologne.

Friends, I repeat to myself as butterflies explode in my chest and stomach.

"You came dressed for our dance lesson," he says, looking me over.

I'd taken far too long deciding what to wear today. Did I come dressed as an accountant, or as a dance student? In the end, I'd decided on an outfit of gym leggings and fitted Lycra top under a white t-shirt. Now that Linc is studying me, however, I'm second-guessing myself.

"Ah, we didn't discuss what I should wear for the few hours I'm here. I do have a business suit in the car. I just thought I'd save time by not having to change before our dance lesson later."

"It's fine. It's not like you're officially here as my accountant yet. I mean I wish you were, but..."

I won't take money for my time. This bothered him when we spoke about it on Monday, and I can see it's still bothering him now. But even if I'm not taking his money, he's still giving me something of value. He made sure of it. We have a trade.

"As far as I'm concerned, you are paying me; it's just in dance lessons instead of cash. I know this is your future and your club at stake, Linc. You can count on me."

He could count on me even if we didn't have a trade.

He offers me a small, tight smile as he shoves his hands in his pockets. "I know I can count on you, Brooke. I knew it almost straight after meeting you. It's just that you're my last hope and I'm asking so much of you. I don't feel like I'm giving you enough."

"Linc, you're giving me back what I missed out on when I was a teenager. That's far more valuable."

He shakes his head. "I guess I just don't believe I'm this lucky. I honestly don't know what I would do without you. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't come along."