Chapter 26

Ryan was enjoying his first beer, talking to some of his men, when he noticed Lenah and Elaina join the celebrations.

His mouth went dry when he saw his mate. She wore a short blue top, with beading along every edge, which left her midriff exposed. A matching pair of silk trousers also edged in the same beading covered her legs. The dainty slippers she wore on her feet along with the intricate earrings finished of her eastern themed outfit. She looked like she'd stepped out of an 'Arabian nights' and Ryan couldn't help but be intrigued by the flesh she was showing.

But what he really liked was that other than her eyes being glamoured, to show their usual blue, the rest of her true form was on show. Her markings rippled over her skin perfectly. To him she was like an unearthly being too precious to belong just to him.

He growled when he noticed his men taking a good look at her but they just laughed and nudged his arm jokingly. Walking quickly he found himself stood in front of her unsure what to say.

What he really wanted to do was to pick her up, throw her over his shoulder and lock them both in his room until they were both satisfied. But he knew he couldn't do that so he was stuck just watching her.

"It's rude to stare wolf."

His little mate smirked up at him fully aware of what she was doing to him.

"Just admiring my beautiful mate."

He smiled down at her his own eyes dancing with mischief.

Although he would never tell her how much the challenge ceremony set him on edge, his nerves were tingling with anticipation at what would happen afterwards. Finally he was going to be able to claim his mate.

"Lenah come sit with us." They both turned to look at Trish who was proudly holding up her new daughter Lexy.

Making their way over they were stopped numerous times by people asking questions about training and schedules. Ryan was pleased by how many questions were fielded at Lenah and not just him.

There were many in the pack that already respected her judgement. Although very few seemed to realise it, many had already accepted her as their Luna, it was this that gave him hope that the challenge ceremony wouldn't end in heartbreak for anyone in his pack including him.

From the corner of his eye he could see his parents relaxing, talking to his sister and her mate. Only the barest hint of stress showed around their eyes as they enjoyed time with their family.

His father raised his own beer in their direction as they were stopped once again by a young mother who wanted Lenah's opinions on her small child. For once the pack were leaving his parents be.

It was definitely a sign of change for the pack. After tonight it would be official. There would be a new Alpha couple to take care of the pack.

Arriving at Trish's table her haggard looking husband held out a screaming baby to Lenah with a desperate, pleading expression.

Lenah laughed at him before taking his screaming son, Leyton, gently in her arms. She cooed at the struggling baby and began bouncing him softly in her arms. Her heart melted when he stuck his tiny thumb in his mouth and his eyes fluttered shut.

"How on earth did you do that?" Trish's mate and Ryan were staring at the contented child in her arms whilst Trish was giving her a knowing smile. She laughed at all of them.

"Just practice. Don't worry you'll get the hang of it soon." They all chuckled when the man held his head in his hands and groaned.

"I can't believe she thinks it's acceptable to wear those filthy markings in the presence of our Alpha." They all turned at the harsh, low words.