Chapter 65

The sound of scampering feet just outside his bedroom door had Ryan bolting awake, his bed covers slipping down his body as he rubbed a tired hand over his face. Turning to his alarm clock he cursed and dragged himself out of bed.

His mother had obviously decided he deserved a lie in but he wished she'd woken him up at the time they'd agreed.

He picked up his phone his heart beat picking up and then slowing as he realised there were no new messages for him to look at. Although, why he checked he didn't know. There was only one thing he wanted to hear, and he was sure Akari would break down the door to tell him.

Deciding he'd have time to have a shower, he undressed and slid into the shower. Washing and drying quickly, it wasn't long before he stood before the door, dressed and ready to go.

Walking through the pack house, voices grew quiet around him and people bowed their heads respectfully. He hated their silence, and the pitying looks he got, but he reigned in his anger. His pack didn't deserve his anger, but that didn't mean that it disappeared. He just tried harder to hide how broken he really was.

Outside the pack house was still a mass of activity. During their enforced time away, the surrounding packs had all but destroyed their home. Some buildings had only been ransacked but the main pack house had all been but burnt to the ground. Only the foundations and west wall had survived.

After two months of renovations, it was almost complete, but it was much larger than before. Not only did they have to house their new additions that had joined them from their time in Texas but a wave of other wolves who had elected to join them. The Northridge pack had doubled in size and it crushed Ryan that the person responsible wasn't able to see the changes he could.

Help to rebuild their lives had come in all shapes and forms. The werewolf council had sent resources and food via Cal and an open invitation for Ryan, should he wish to sit on the council. The other Alphas who'd fought alongside them had remained and also contributed to their rebuild efforts. But perhaps the most unexpected help came from their direct neighbours.

Those who had attacked them now came to their aid with apologises in their hearts. New Alphas had been selected and with new leadership, strong allied friendships had been formed. Yet more new Alphas welcome at the table of the werewolf council.

Never had Ryan seen his pack so well connected and yet his sadness never left him.

Wolves ran everywhere in front of him whilst his male warriors stood back and instructed them. He watched as some of his men shifted, nudging the she-wolves to run. Until two months ago, he would have never been able to imagine what he saw in front of him.

Female werewolves running around in wolf form with their male counterparts. Equal to each other for the first time in millennia.

They were like newly shifted teenagers and were being taught how to live alongside their wolf. Today's lessons were foraging in the forest, learning to listen to the sounds and animals hidden around them. An important lesson to any new wolf.

One she-wolf broke away and scampered up to him. Her wolf was larger than the other females and some males but nothing compared to Ryan's or his fathers. She was white with large splashes of grey, so different to her mate's wolf.

Her large head nuzzled his hand affectionately.

"Why didn't you wake me?" He asked, scratching her behind the ears.

She tilted her head before his mother's voice popped into his mind through the pack link.

"You need to rest."