What is It?

Before we delve into the specifics of climate change, global warming, and CO2 levels, we must first understand what they are.

Climate change is, according to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, a change of climate that is attributed directly or indirectly to human activity, altering the composition of the global atmosphere.

The term 'global warming' is often used interchangeably with 'climate change', but this is incorrect because the two terms have distinct meanings. According to NASA, global warming refers to the upward temperature trend across the entire Earth since the early 20th century, and most notably since the late 1970s, due to the increase in fossil fuel emissions since the industrial revolution. This is different to climate change, as climate change refers to a board change of climate.

 This is different to climate change, as climate change refers to a board change of climate

A visualization of global warming (source: Sputnik International)

CO2 stands for carbon dioxide, a colorless gas that occurs naturally in Earth's atmosphere as a trace gas. However, the CO2 level on Earth is steadily increasing. This phenomenon is simply referred to as 'rising CO2 levels' or other common variations. 

A carbon dioxide molecule

~

Works Cited:

"Carbon Dioxide Concentration | NASA Global Climate Change." NASA, NASA, 17 May 2017, climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/.

"What's in a Name? Weather, Global Warming and Climate Change." NASA, NASA, 20 Jan. 2016, climate.nasa.gov/resources/global-warming/.

"What's the Difference between Global Warming and Climate Change?" Climate Reality, 26 Oct. 2016, 10:06, www.climaterealityproject.org/blog/difference-between-global-warming-and-climate-change.