Chapter 3

"How's your youtube channel going? I saw you posted a new one tonight, something about compliments?" Mallory asked.

"Yeah, I went around the mall and complimented people's outfits and other random things. I did have this weird sense that someone was following me again today, I'm not sure why. I think I'm just paranoid after the incident with Michelle." I said.

"That's probably why, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Oh-mayday, cute boys coming near us, don't look." Mallory said looking excited and waved towards them, I didn't turn around and waited in anticipation. Somebody grabbed my waist suddenly and I jumped in surprise. Our friend Harper stood there laughing at my reaction and I slapped him playfully for scaring me.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help it!" He said, still laughing, "This is my friend Peyton, we just met a few weeks ago at work, he joined the Geek Squad team."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Mallory and this is Leilani," Mallory said, while they joined us at our table. Peyton had an intense look and only smiled slightly when I looked at him. He had a hipster vibe to him with his grey beanie on top of his brown hair. He had on wire-rimmed glasses and sat uncomfortably close to me.

"I didn't think y'all would be out tonight, so this is a nice surprise." Harper said, moving his chair closer to Mallory. They had a small fling in the months before Mallory met her boyfriend and she refused to admit to me how much she really liked Harper back then.

I turned to Peyton and figured it was best to entertain him rather than him have to listen to Harper and Mallory banter back and forth. "So are you from the area?" I asked him.

He nodded, there was an awkward pause, then he said, "I'm from the valley, but I moved to the city to get into music with my band from high school. We broke up after being here for a few months, and years later I'm still living here with no band and hopping around jobs."

"Sounds exciting," I laughed softly, trying not to offend him, and took a sip of my drink. I looked over at the girls table and saw Kiara eying me, I gave her a winning smile.

"What do you do?" He asked me, his eyes shifted slightly looking at Kiara too.

"I work over at the mall on Santa Monica Boulevard, in a cosmetics store. It's pretty fun and chill, and and it leaves me time to work on my personal video projects. I'm hoping to create enough of a portfolio to work at one of the bigger companies in the area and do their video editing." I said, taking sips of my drink in between sentences.

"That's a really cool career goal, what are some of your projects you're working on?" He asked.

"She does this really adorable YouTube series called Watch Me Do Things" Mallory butted in, "you should check it out someday." He nodded seriously and I smiled awkwardly.

"I'll be back, going to use the restroom." I announced and made my way from the table. I didn't notice someone following me in until I was standing at the mirror taking a deep breath.

"Hello again," Kiara said, beaming. I smiled back and noticed my cheeks redden in the mirror. I turned around and faced her. She took a step towards me and put her hands on my waist. I felt myself bump into the counter.

"I know we just met, but can I kiss you?" A small yes escaped from my lips as she closed the space between us and lifted me onto the counter. I felt fireworks between us when her tongue slipped into my mouth. My hands slid under her shirt and moved up her back. Her skin was soft and my fingers grazed just under her bra.

I gasped as she suddenly pulled away as we heard the bathroom door swing open. I hopped off the counter quickly, grabbed her hand, and moved her into the handicap stall with me. Her face was flushed and I felt my heart flutter. I pushed her against the wall and began to kiss her again. She was a few inches taller than me with her heels on, so I was standing on my toes to reach her lips.

Her hands were on me again, grabbing my hair and pulling me in closer to her. I deepened our kiss and desperately wanted to undress her.

"Do you want to go to my place?" I asked.

"Your place?" Kiara asked breathless, she paused and took a deep breath. "You have no idea how much I want to."

"I think I do." I stated, smiling.

"I just don't want to rush anything, I'm notorious for rushing into things and having them fall apart in front of my eyes. I'm sorry." She looked embarrassed and looked up at the ceiling.

"No need to be sorry, I also have that bad luck streak, so you're probably right."

"Maybe make out for a few more minutes, then head back out?" She asked teasing me and wrapping her arms around my waist.

I nodded in enthusiasm and pushed a strand of hair from her cheek. She pulled me in tighter and in that moment, all I was thinking about were her lips. Soft, round, pink, and waiting for me. I kissed her feverishly until I desperately needed air.

"Maybe we should get back out there." She said, I agreed and we left the stall. At the bathroom exit she took my left hand in her right one and said, "Send me your number on tinder, I'd love to see you again soon."

"Absolutely." I replied. We parted ways again and I returned to our table. Mallory looked nervous and I tilted my head at her. She made a little hand motion to her phone, so I checked mine and had a text from her that read: Where are you? Can we leave please? Not liking how much Harper is flirting.

I looked up and nodded to her, then announced, "Mallory, we need to get going if we are going to make it to that play."

"Oh my gosh, of course, the play!" She jumped from her chair, that was scooted a bit closer to Harper than before I left. One of Harper's hands had been resting on Mallory's leg and I didn't miss his look of disappointment at our departure.

"I hope to see you again." Peyton said to me, I gave him a little smile, waved to Harper, and followed Mallory out the door.

As soon as we got outside Mallory turned on me, "Thank goodness! What the hell were you doing in there?"

"Umm, that tinder girl kinda followed me in there and we kinda made out." I said a bit guilty. Mallory laughed and put her arm under mine and said, "Typical." We laughed and made our way back to my apartment.

"So you and Harper looked cozy." I stated as we crossed the street.

Mallory sighed, "Yeah, he just broke up with his latest girl and was telling me about how she just didn't compare to me, it was kinda sweet, but also kinda intense. I tried to make it clear I was still with Matt and that Peyton guy jumped in and made a weird comment."

"What did he say?" I asked.

"Basically that Matt was nothing compared to them two because they are a gift to women or whatever. I didn't like it and that's when I texted you." She said looking disgusted.

"Geez, sorry I left you alone, didn't know Harper had made friends with such a strange guy." I said. I suddenly had a weird feeling someone was following us and looked over my shoulder. I didn't see anyone, but I couldn't shake the feeling.

"So are you going to see tinder girl again?" Mallory asked me.

"Yeah, she wants me to send her my number so we can meet again. She's adorable, I already can't wait."

Mallory came back up to my apartment with me until Matt came over to walk her home. Mallory played with Biscuit on the floor and I changed into my pajamas. When Matt arrived a few minutes later, we said goodnight and as she left I saw my phone light up with a message. I excitedly went over to it expecting a message from Kiara. But it was an unknown number who had texted me, and all it said was, hey.