Humans

'Flying above their den, Ergen spotted several figures crouched in the foliage close to the cave. Even at a distance, he could see the shining of the metal armor and weapons that they wielded, thinking that they were complete idiots for thinking that they could hid themselves in such reflective equipment. Though shockingly, apparently his mother didn't see them as she circled overhead once until eventually landing in their cave as if all was normal despite several of Ergen's warning cries. She did thankfully look somewhat alarmed by him, but sadly that was it before she continued her normal business.

Walking to the entrance after being released, Ergen let out a growl, hoping that his mother would at least look out of the entrance to see the humans moving into position. However, for some reason, she didn't see them at all and only used her tail to push him back inside again before a few of the knights started sneaking into the cave. And now that they were close, Ergen finally realized why his mother didn't know that they were there.

Even if Ergen could somehow see them, the men and women were faded in a way that he could still see the cave behind them. Though, no matter what kind of either ability or magic they were using, Ergen wasn't about to let his mother be ambushed. Not now when he'd just started his new life and he still needed her. And so, with the knights freezing as the realized that they'd been seen, the first was completely frozen solid by Ergen's frost breath before shattering completely. And in continuing breathing his stream of frost, Ergen caught two of the other knights as well before he finally ran out breath. Though now that they'd been partially frozen, the knights screamed out in pain, sealing their fates as Ergen's mother finally realized that something was wrong and breathed a gigantic stream of fire towards the cave's opening.

"Keep it in the cave!" Some type of commander yelled from somewhere before all of the Invaders lost their invisibility save for a few who were dressed like assassin's. And he wasted no time in attacking one of these people now as they seemed less armored than the others.

Aiming for the man's head, Ergen missed and ended up chomping on the torso instead, making him cry out in pain before Ergen let him go so that he could avoid the dagger that had been heading for him. And as he jumped away, he breathed another small stream of frost that enveloped a knight that had been running to help the assassin's.

Behind him, Ergen's mother was releasing a constant stream of fire towards the entrance where over a dozen people fell before a woman in black robes stepped forward. As she raised her hands, some type of barrier was created in front of her which blocked the dragon fire, protecting both her and the other similarly dressed people behind her. Though they weren't what concerned Ergen currently. No, instead, his attention was focused on another group of spell casters in white robes that seemed to be healing everyone else that his mother managed to injure.

Moving around the large group that had gathered to fight his mother, Ergen circled around the healers, hoping to catch them off guard. Though it was a doomed effort as they already knew that he was there and several knights gathered to block his progress.

"The hatchling is targeting the priests!" One of the knights yelled as more came to help them. Soon, the priests were no longer a possible target as they had to many knights around them for Ergen to attack. Though with most of the remaining knights guarding the priests, a new target was revealed which was the woman that was commanding everyone else.

"Mages, keep that barrier charged! Knights, move in only when you see an opening and attack it's limbs. Assassin's, disable it's wings!" The woman shouted orders, and Ergen didn't waste any time as he knew that the opening he had would close soon if he didn't take it.

Several startled shouts might have warned the woman, but thankfully Ergen's dragon body was fast, even as an infant. And Ergen quickly reached the commander without any of her subordinates interfering before the woman turned and swung her long sword at him blindly, managing to cut the area above his left eye. Thankfully he'd managed to move his head in time to avoid being blinded, though this ruined his charge as the only attack that he could do now was reach out and cut her with one of his claws.

"Commander!" Several of the knights shouted at the same time while covering her now, but not before Ergen and the woman glared at each other with both of their eyes bleeding. And before the woman could shout more orders, Ergen turned and managed to bite the head of one of the mages blocking his mother's fire breath.

Whipping his tail across another mage's back and drawing blood with his barbs, Ergen snapped the first mages neck before their barrier failed and the area was covered in flames. Thankfully, Ergen's dragon body resisted the flames, but the nearby humans weren't so lucky. And after looking around inside of the fire, Ergen felt uneasy as he watched the humans around him burn, though he didn't know why he felt that way. They were just humans after all, and they had attacked both he and his mother, so the didn't deserve any mercy.

"Retreat! Run into the forest!" The commander woman called out. "Move now! Retreat!"

Finally, Ergen and his mother reunited before she covered him with her wing in order to protect him. Meanwhile, she sent more fire out of the cave's exit, roasting a few more mages before she finally stopped attacking and just started growling instead. And as he was now blocked from viewing anything in the cave, Ergen sat back and brought his small claws up to the side of his head where the commanders blade had cut him. The wound was incredibly painful, and he regretted not being near one of the cave's reflective icicles now as he wanted to inspect the damage. However, upon looking up at his mother, he noticed that there were other more pressing concerns that he needed to deal with.

Reaching up with his claws, Ergen removed several spears from underneath the scales on his mother's chest. They were all concentrated in a single area, so Ergen thought that perhaps it might be a weak area on dragons while he hoped that none of the weapons had penetrated through her skin. However, he lost that hope when a large amount of blood started draining from where the spears had been. And now that he was paying attention, her heart beat seemed to be faint before she finally staggered on her feet slightly and collapsed on her side, thankfully not crushing Ergen in the process.

Releasing a loud call of surprise as his mother fell, Ergen fought to get out from underneath her wing until he eventually freed himself. And when he got out, he discovered that the wounds to her chest had only been the beginning. There were sharp spears made of ice sticking out all over her body with over four times as much arrows covering the rest of her. The assassins had been successful at severing one of her wings, and it appeared that she had a large wound directly on her throat. She breathed in and out in irregular patterns, and Ergen didn't quiet know how to react in accordance. No matter who he was in whatever life he had in the past, this creature in front of him was his guardian in this realm. She'd protected him and fed him in a world that he knew nothing about. She was his mother... and she was dying...