Chapter 55: Trapped

Chapter 55: Trapped

Previously...

I step out onto the soft grass, momentarily blinded from the light. Once my eyes readjust, I hurriedly look around, searching for Ashen.

I quickly spot a ball of black fur curled up, hiding at the back of the cave in the shadows. I also notice the the punching bag, and several other fighting contraptions we had brought over and installed into the cave. Being here again with Ashen, reminds me of when we were training before the fights.
______________________________________

M

y face warms up, remembering what occurred here a few weeks ago. However, sadness quickly replaces the happy feeling, bringing me back to the situation at hand.  I run over towards the ball of fur and reach out my hand to wake him.

As soon as my hand touches his fur, I immediately know something is wrong. His body is ice cold and doesn't move under my touch at all. Normally, If you touch a wolf's (or even a dog's) pelt without them expecting it, it will quiver or tremble under your touch, as if a chill is going down their spine. We are very sensitive to touch, and our nerves respond to any touch. However, Ashen's coat and skin isn't responding. 

As I begin to panic, his head moves slightly. I re-position myself to be in front of him, to see if he is awake. My heart beat quickly, hoping for the best possible solution. His eyes open slowly and focuses on me, however, my heart drops when I realize the change in eye color. Skull is in control.

"Ave... ery..." He mutters weakly, trying to raise his head to talk to me through mind-link, but having no luck. "Took your time..." Giving up, he rests his head back down onto his paws once again. He tries his best to give me a re-assuring smile, but I can tell something is gravely wrong. Anxiety starts to creep up from inside of me, and my heart beat starts to race again.

"Skull! What's wrong? What happened to Ashen?" I hurriedly say, trying to save every precious second, not knowing when he might lose consciousness. "You were fine when you were in my dream!"

"You nee-need to bring Ashen back. Similar to you, he is trapped in his consciousness." Skull explains slowly, trying to remain conscious. Suddenly I remember what Celestial told me when I was also trapped. Seeing that I remembered, Skull continues explaining. "Before he shuts down, you need to reach out to him and bring him back. It'll take all of the last of my energy, so I wont be able to bring you out, if you fail." He glances up to me, checking if that it was alright with me. Giving him a short nod, understanding what the dangers were, thankfulness wells up in his eyes.  "I will be with you in there as well, however, He wont let me reach him. So I'll be relying on you. When your ready place your hand on my mark and concentrate on only Ashen." 

Ever since those mystery tattoos appeared on out necks, I've noticed that both Celestial and Skull also gained them.  When I saw them in my mind, they both had the marks to the side of their eyes. Skull's is placed under his right eye, and Celestial's under her left eye. Readying myself, I place my hand softly over the mark and close my eyes. I concentrate on Ashen's face in my mind. His deep blue eyes that remind me of the ocean, which draw me in. His dark hair that he has just starting to styling, causing me to want to mess it up. 

"Thank you Avery..." I hear before darkness consumes me. Sensing that I am elsewhere, I open my eyes only to be welcomed with nothing but darkness. I notice light illuminating from somewhere, but I can't figure out where. I look around trying to find Skull, as he said he will also be here. 

I see a pair of eyes drawing closer to me, I quickly recognize them as Skull's. His black fur had blended in with the surroundings, but as he gets closer the light starts to expose his coat. I glance down to realize the light was illuminating from me. 

"Follow me," Skull mutters before walking off in a random direction. After following him for a few minutes, something big starts to emerge from the darkness. We come to a halt in front of two large doors that towers over us. It is over double the height of me and Skull put together.  In the middle of it was a clock face with roman numerals on it. However, the numbers are different, instead of counting up from 1 to 12...It is counting down from 10 to 0. It is if it is down down to something, as it has almost reached zero. The large hands where made out of gold and has intricate engravings running up them. 

"This leads to where Ashen is," Skull explains. "I'm not able to go past it, but you might be able to. If you can't try calling out his name." He walks up to the door and a loud creak is heard. The sealed doors start to move, letting out a loud groaning sound. Once it's fully open, Skull trots over to it. However, as if a barrier suddenly forms, it stops him from entering causing him to be thrown backwards. 

He lets out a loud howl in sadness, before lying down in front of the door, whining every now and then. He tilts his head back to look at me, watching me make my way towards the door. I place my hands on the barrier, expecting it  to repel me backwards as it did to Skull. However, it doesn't... Taking this as a sign I call out.

"Ashen! I know you know it's me! Please let me in," I desperately plea. I bang my hands on the barrier, determined to get in. "I'm not leaving until I see you! You need me right now."  

A loud cry echos from inside, causing the barrier to shatter in my hands. I run inside to find an opened jail cell and Ashen curled up in a ball. 

"Ashen...."

______________________________________

Hey guys!!! Decided to sit down for once to try and complete the new chapter. Hope you enjoyed it and I'll try to get another one out soon.

I'll keep it short for now (and it's not because i don't know what to write 😝) 

So The Fiction Awards 2018 is back and I have been nominated by a user in the werewolf category. So if you are enjoying the book, please go over and mention my book :)

I hope it's not too much to ask, it's my first time I've been nominated and I'm so excited and thankful even though I don't think I'll win. But thanks anyway

But thanks again for reading :)

~Willow