Chapter 15. Ambush

"Who owns that palace?" Loki looked back to the palace. "It's quite decent. Not as shiny as Asgardian Palace, too many ornaments, but decent."

"I'm not quite sure either."

They stood in line to ride the roller coaster, and they could hear the screams from people above.

"Meek, mushy, whiny Midgardians," Loki rolled his eyes, still wearing his mouse ear headbands.

"Just call us humans, please," Elizabeth said, "It's always strange when you say Midgardians."

"Weaklings. It always amazes me how you can survive in this universe, while doing things like screaming on a train when you get on to it of your own free will."

"Heey!" She punched his arm, "Rude!"

More people stood in line. Elizabeth tried to keep her distance between all the people around her, but it got harder when the queue got crammed.

She was worried that people might bump to her invisible wings. That would definitely cause some commotion. She turned sideways, trying to find a position that prevented contact between her wings and the people behind and in front of her. The narrow steel barricades that bordered the queue wasn't cut out for the space her big wings needed. In doing so, her face was only millimeters away from Loki's shoulder.

She looked up and saw that Loki was staring at her.

"What?" She demanded.

Loki sighed. "You are hopeless."

The line went forward, and they followed. But Loki stopped around 2 meters from the people in front of them and rested both of his arms on the barricades, blocking people's way but creating plenty of space for Elizabeth.

"Move forward!" Someone on the back shouted.

"Can't do." Loki shouted back.

People behind them ranted, but Loki seemed unbothered, and really, didn't care.

He didn't look at Elizabeth at all, but she gazed at him with a lot of mixed feelings inside her.

Was this the Loki she knew?

***

"Buckle up!" The staff shouted, in a cheerful manner, and people put their seat belts on. Elizabeth and Loki imitated them.

"I'd like to see how this thing make those humans scream."

"Yeah, I never tried this either. But promise me you won't use your magic to stop this thing if you got scared, okay?"

Loki scoffed. A few moments later, the train started to move. Elizabeth drummed her hands to the seat belt in anticipation and excitement.

It started slow. As it went up and up until it's very high, Elizabeth could see every part of Disneyland, and even farther areas.

She was busy enjoying the view, when suddenly the train darted to the ground with incredible speed. She let out a startled cry, along with other people on board.

But it started to get really fun. The train turned around, tilted sideways, turned in circle.. She laughed in exhiliration. She felt very.. free. She never had so many chance to fly freely. Her father used to tell her to stay down and hide all the time. If someone saw her flying, bad things would happen.

It was very disappointing when the ride was over. She was hoping to enjoy it a bit longer. She turned her head to Loki to see how he felt about the ride, but his expression was flat.

Perhaps the God of Mischief was used to things like this.

She tapped his shoulder to tell him to get out of the seat belt and off the ride. As he did, Elizabeth was very surprised when Loki threw himself to a pillar and puke.

She rushed to his side and rubbed his back.

"God, are you okay?" It got funnier as she thought about it, how a god puked because of a roller coaster, and she had to suppress her laugh to spare his feelings.

He groaned as he wiped his mouth with a cloth that magically appeared in his hands.

"I hate that ride," he hissed.

Elizabeth couldn't hold it anymore. She laughed and took Loki's hand.

"Come on, let's get something to make you feel better."

They went outside and saw a hot dog booth. She ordered a lemon squash for Loki and a hot dog for herself- with extra cheese. Then they walked around, watching some people take photos with Peter Pan and other characters.

"Wow, this is so good!" Elizabeth stared at the hot dog with admiration.

"You act like it's your first time eating it." He slurped his drink slowly, still not feeling well.

"It IS my first time eating it hot and fresh," she said. "My father sometimes bought it for me, but when it reached my hand it's usually already cold and soggy."

The wind blew on her face and she inhaled deeply to enjoy the breeze. The weather today was very nice. This was probably the best day of her life.

Suddenly Loki grabbed her hand and pulled her backwards, when she saw a ray of light passed in front of her eyes and hit a tree right behind where she stood just a second ago.

It exploded like a bomb, and the tree caught on fire. If Loki didn't pull her back, it would've hit her. The fun park went into chaos. People screamed and scrambled away in terror.

She turned forward and see a dozen men in black uniform holding huge guns, which shot out the light she just saw.

They formed a circle around her and Loki, slowly closing the gap between them.

They were surrounded.