Chapter 24. Till We Meet Again

She found herself in the middle of a large, golden hall. Well-dressed men and women filled the room, all wearing Victorian era gowns and suits. They were chattering and laughing with each other.

She looked down to herself and gasped. She was dressed in a regal white gown, and her arms encased with long gloves. She turned her body around to observe the hall. Was this a ballroom?

Tall pillars, doors, and windows surrounded the hall. The white wall was covered in beautiful golden ornaments. They reflected the light strongly, especially the shiny golden floor.

Her gaze fixated at a pair of black glossy shoes, carrying the wearer before her. She slowly moved her gaze upwards, from black trousers, to perfectly tailored black long coat and vest, white shirt, silk ivory cravat, and finally, to his face.

Loki, with his usual black hair and smile, staring back at her.

"Enjoying the view?"

Elizabeth cleared her throat. "What is this place, Loki?"

Her gaze moved upwards to the high ceiling, where it was painted with mesmerizing view of the blue daylight sky and white clouds. A large, luxurious chandelier hung at the center of it. The crystal glasses refracted the light across the room, creating beautiful patterns on the wall and the floor.

"It's heaven. We're both dead."

"Oh." She's quite taken aback.

Loki chuckled. "No, I'm kidding. Do you really think I would go to heaven if I die?"

She narrowed her eyes at him, unappreciative of his unfunny joke. "Then do you make this in my mind like you did before?"

Loki nodded.

"Why?"

"I might have looked into your mind as you were unconscious, vulnerable. I found that going to this kind of party is your biggest wish..?" He raised his eyebrows, asking confirmation.

"That's true, but you didn't answer my question. Why?"

Loki curled his lips, like he didn't like what he was going to say.

"I have to go soon," he finally said. He stared at her, trying to read her expression.

"Home?"

"Yes." He looked down at his feet, "And I won't be welcomed with cheers and parties."

Elizabeth touched his combed hair and pushed it behind his shoulder.

"Is it going to be ugly?"

"Very likely," he scoffed, but his face soon turned serious. "I don't know when I could see you again, Elizabeth."

She nodded understandingly. He did a terrible thing and caused chaos on Earth. Odin, his father, would certainly punish him.

"Then we better make the best of this," she smiled. "When I was still in orphanage, there was this book about Victorian dance parties. This is exactly how I imagined it would be."

"Of course, I made all of this entirely from your mind. It's quite magnificent, kind of reminds me of Asgard's throne hall."

"I really wanted it," she smiled sincerely. "Thank you."

Loki looked very proud of himself. He reached out one hand to Elizabeth and said, "May I?"

Elizabeth giggled and curtsied before she took his hand. "There's one problem though," she whispered, "There's no music."

Suddenly, a soft, sweet waltz played in the background.

"You were saying?" Loki grinned as he clasped Elizabeth's hand and put his other hand on her waist, soon leading her to glide smoothly around the dance floor, constantly rotating counter clock wise.