Chapter Thirty-Three

Theiarna Dae Donv'nel watched as the sun rose over Crescent-Moon Bay and with it, she felt the relief of the city rise too. It was odd to feel such tension, considering Brax City had enjoyed peaceful, Reaper-free nights for several decades – until the opening night of the Founder's Festival. Since then, Theia had felt the tension in the air, the apprehension of the people that Reapers might breach the city like they had that night. Theia, like the Comavren before her, always ensured that measures were in place should a Reaper ever breach the city but that didn't mean she, and the rest of her Shields, hadn't been caught off-guard that night.

Perhaps she should have anticipated it, given the presence of both Kaya and Noah. Theia had always known that Reapers were drawn to Noah because of his unusual connection to Chaos, but never had Reapers followed him into Brax City and slipped through the wards. Theia would have blamed it on the addition of Kaya's presence, but after learning that Brocard had somehow wielded the mysterious – and infamous – Legacy known as Calamity, Theia knew now that Reapers hadn't actually breached the wards that night.

They had been summoned from within the wards, within the city's boundaries, by Brocard himself. She had thought Calamity's ability to control and summon Reapers nothing but rumour, but Noah had confirmed it when he returned, with Kaya, to Brax City last night – right before he passed out, of course.

Theia's heart had nearly leapt from her chest when the two had crashed into her parlour, where she and Nerice had been conversing. Noah had collapsed to one knee, and although Kaya had tried to support him she had been struggling to stay upright herself. Nerice had instantly called for healers, but both Noah and Kaya were long unconscious by the time the healers arrived.

Theia had decided to let them both sleep until the morning came, after her healers tended to their injuries, and although she knew she should indulge in some sleep herself while she could her mind was too preoccupied with all that had happened, and been revealed, to allow her to sleep.

Theia returned her attention to the view, where the rising sun cast a gradient of colour across the sky, but also across the ocean which reflected it. The horizon was on fire, a fire that spread to chase away the night, while below the ocean calmly rippled toward the bay, glittering as it caught the sunlight.

Theia heard the distant hollering of men and women on the docks that stretched out along the bay. They, naturally, begun their work the moment the sun appeared by unpacking the boats that had arrived yesterday at dusk and preparing the boats that needed to set sail, be them passenger boats, cargo or fishing boats. 

Theia watched her city from the stone stairwell of the aviary, leaning in to the alcove of a wide, glassless window to watch the sunrise. She heard voices drifting down from above and turned, finding two weary Shields descending the stairwell after finishing their nightly watch. Their uniforms of silver, elegantly fitted armour were contrasted by the white cloaks that hung from their shoulders, signalling them as Shields of the city watch.

'Rest well, gentlemen,' she said, and the two Shields gave tired – yet perfect – salutes in response.

Theia made her way up the stairwell then, her gold cloak fluttering gently against the breeze that swept through each window she passed. At the peak of the stairwell was an aged wooden door, and although Shield Tower was Theia's domain she still sought permission to enter, her knuckles rapping firmly against the door.

Except when Theia decided to knock first, she expected the one on the other side to answer immediately.

No one answered.

'Edarim!' Theia called, knocking a little more forcefully.

A small panel in the door opened, revealing two wizened old eyes peering out at her. 'Ah! Comavren, come on in. Wait, you don't have any food with you, do you?'