Chapter 4

For GOD so loved the world he did not send a committee.
~ Fremen Axiom

Alexi had taken the Water of Life - a poison extracted from the Sand Worms of Dune.  It was a dangerous ritual that had claimed a number of lives.  It was necessary however that Alexi endure what was commonly called The Agony.  The agony for that is what was endured.

Farrah was about to conclude that Alexi would die from the Water of Life ritual, when the young woman awoke from her coma like state.   Taking the Water of Life was a draining experience and once she was assured that Alexi had come through she left the new Reverend Mother to recuperate.

~*~*~*~*~

High up in the Dellecian Mountains of Caladan a small band of Special Ops personnel moved up towards a cave. 

There seemed to have been only three guards outside but on the off chance there were more on the inside the team moved cautiously.  First Ammaso, followed by Andresa, then Alex and bringing in the rear was A’Ran.

They were teased mercilessly as the Team A.  

“Imagine…” The Commander had observed, “…every member’s name begins with the letter A”

The group was soon under attack.  Ammaso in the lead was the first to be assaulted.  A’Ran leaped in to aid in the struggle.

As the two dealt with the attacker Andresa was grabbed from behind, she automatically knelt dragging her assailant over her shoulder, landing him on the ground and she positioned herself to plunge her knife into him. 

“Andresa! No! It’s me M’ram!”  He shouted and squirmed.

Her adrenaline was pumping, she was in battle mode and the kill action was in full motion.  Her arm went up and the knife flashed as the descent motion began until Alex kicked the knife from her hand. Andresa looked at Alex with blood in her eyes.  

Just as quickly as it had cranked up the adrenaline rush slowed down and the blood lust receded.   She whipped round “M’ram! Oh God M’ram! I could have killed you! What is the matter with you?!” She yelled.

They had come to rescue him and she’d nearly killed him.

~*~*~*~*~

Once the Water of Life had been taken, the Sisterhood knew when another had joined.  No matter where in the Universe it happened - it was one of the miracles of the transmutation of the water.

They all knew when Paul Atreides and gone through the agony, they had gone with him on that ride.  He had occupied a place where none of them could look.

Once the faux pas of that program which had produced Paul Maud’Dib was over and the rule of his son the Tyrant concluded, they had reviewed the Kwisatz program and concluded that there were areas for improvement.  So the Sisterhood had continued the program that had given them Alexi, but she was not the one. Now Farrah had to tell the young woman who had been raised to be the Kwisatz Haderach that she was not the one.

“I knew before I endured the agony.” Alexi comforted Farrah once she told her.

Farrah was shocked at the response and Bene Gesserit's didn’t shock easily. “How?” Farrah asked.

“I just did.” She explained.  “I am Bene Gesserit. I just knew.”

'And there you have it.' Farrah thought.  “Now we must go one generation forward.”