Chapter 39

God created Arakkis to train the faithful.

One cannot go against the word of God.

Paul Maud'Dib – Coronation Day

MEMO

FROM: TERRAN GROWTH INC

TO: THE EMPEROR VLADIMIR HARKONNEN I

HIGHNESS.

THE TERRAN GROWTH INC HAS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND SARDAUKAR, WITH A POSSIBLE FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND AVAILABLE EVERY FIVE YEARS FOR THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS, EVEN LONGER SHOULD YOU DESIRE.

SHOULD YOU BE INTERESTED WE ARE WILLING TO NEGOTIATE A MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL CONTRACT.

J'TU
CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD

~*~*~*~*~

The Maud'Dib had spoken and the Worms rushed to obey.

Their fist priority was to relay the message. An accurate census of humans had proved a constant impossibility. A count of Fremen was equally daunting. A study of the Worms of Arakkis had never been contemplated or attempted. It was universally agreed that there were thousands.

It wasn't long before results were being seen and felt.

Fremen conducted raids on every vulnerable Harkonnen site that they could think of. While in the Desert - the domain of the Sand Worm - nothing was safe.

'Thopters hovered over sand miners constantly on the look out for worm sign so as to signal the carryall that would come and carry the miners and the machinery to safety. Suddenly there was no longer any worm sign. Usually the tell-tale sign of shifting sand and miniature bolts of lightening could be spotted for kilometers - now a worm just emerged from the bowels of the planet and consumed miners, 'thopters, machinery, spice and all.

Mining for spice had always been a hazardous undertaking now it was deadly. It wasn't long before there was no more machinery to mine with. Even if there had been there was no longer anyone prepared to venture into the Desert to mine for it, except for the people who had always been there - the Fremen.

In the meantime, Spice production came to a grinding halt.

~*~*~*~*~

Having returned from his latest foray Dax entered the Command Room and greeted his 'wife'. "We need to talk." He said to her. She followed him to a private corner.

"What did the Guild Representative have to say?" he was anxious to know.

"They are prescient – they had no difficulty finding us." She snorted.

"...and?"

"The Guild has not the time for Religion or Politics together or separate. They have one burning concern..."

"THE SPICE MUST FLOW!" he finished. "And that means what for us."

"Now that manufacturing has stopped the Guild had a most interesting message; they propose a coup. They will pledge the safety of House Atreides if we guarantee spice production."

Weary as he was, Dax got alert. "And your answer?"

"We guarantee spice production." She grinned.

"Have I told you lately that I love you?" He reflected her smirk.

"Yes, but a woman can never hear it enough."

~*~*~*~*~

MEMO