Chapter Thirteen

Monday, April 26, 2010

It took just over a week before Oran's public outing as a super stopped being the favorite topic of conversation at Westminster. He had to be grateful both to Janet Devlin for turning up pregnant by a thirty-six-year-old sitcom star and to the fickle, fleeting focus of teenagers. He was still being watched carefully by the staff, especially Drs. Lau and Jolliet and Ms. Navarro though each seemed to be attentive for different reasons.

He had expected the conflict with Eric to come to during the week after the fight, but even when he and Jock had returned the apartment the fireworks never sparked. Eric had made a half-hatred argument that it was Oran using his super powers that had forced him into the alley with the Russian hit squad. Oran chose not to argue the accusation as that was one way to look at the events on the video.

Mariela had demanded the boys establish a truce. "You don't have to like each other, but no more fighting!"

Jock had backed her up, ordering the two to "Cut that shit out and get along."

And that was the end of it. Eric ignored Oran completely, refusing to acknowledge his existence, both at home and at school. The shunning extended to Kirstin to a lesser extent with Jonas, if not Noreen, joining in. It was a situation with which Oran found himself more than satisfied.

The biggest shock of the two weeks was the arrival of the Levalle twins, Ellen, aka Bombshell, and Brad, aka Oddball. Oran had recognized their scent immediately but could not hint that he had identified them. He had met them as Pulsar, never as Oran. Confronting them about their secret would reveal his own.

Other students informed them of Oran's new status within their first day at school. After that they seemed to keep an eye on him while he was keeping an eye on them. Inevitably this lead to them interacting in and out of class. He would not call them friends, but their relations were cordial.

Which was good, because Oran's old friends were distancing themselves from him as his notoriety in the school grew. He was becoming too popular, or at least well-known, to fit in the clique of terminally shy outsiders. Alex had abandoned him completely, changing seats in classes they shared, and avoiding him in the cafe and hallways. Hester was trying to split her time between them but was uncomfortable around the people crowding around Oran. Slowly she was drifting away. And where Hester drifted so went her shadow, Alona. He was sorry to see these links to the original Oran fray, but was not surprised the friendships could not withstand the many changes.

"Hey Bry," Brad said as he entered the tutoring center.

"Shhh..." enunciated Mr. Sawyer, the faculty monitor. Brad clapped both hands over his mouth and hunched his shoulders. At that point the bell range, alerting he school of the end of the activity period. Students exploded from their tables. Most had already packed their bags and were waiting.

"Lavalle," Oran said as he slipped out the door. "You coming in for some tutoring?"

"Nope. Ellie wants to meet after school."

"Sure, why?"

"Said she had something to ask you?" Brad shrugged either ignorance or unconcern.

The boys were making their way out to the courtyard. It was a warm, sunny spring day and students were taking advantage of the courtyard's separation from the crowded sidewalks to stretch out and enjoy the sun. Oran spotted Ellen near the iron fence. She waved to them.

"You rang?" Oran intoned. Ip Jun was seated next to her. He frowned at Oran's arrival. It was obvious he was taking the rare opportunity of finding her apart from her twin to try to get to know her better.