xi. Strangers in the Night

Chapter Eleven Strangers in the Night

Chapter Eleven
Strangers in the Night

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

"When you said adventure I honestly thought you had some mischievous plot up your sleeve," Davina said as she placed another spoonful of ice cream in her mouth.

The velvet-flavored cake sitting before James held his stare as he cut a piece from it. "Would you have preferred that, love?"

"I'd rather not have detention for the next year," She laughed.

After leading her out of the party, James decided it would be better if they went to eat something. Upon entering the kitchen, Ikki the house elf greeted them enthusiastically and asked if she could bring their favorite dishes.

      "You did great tonight," James said finishing the last of his cake. "Lily seemed pretty upset."

      Davina moved the spoon of her cup around and scoffed. "Yeah, I just hope she doesn't end up jinxing me or something."

      "I love how you're not afraid of her," James said, turning his body to face her. The two sat at a booth in the kitchens, on moveable stools that made it easier to face the other.

      "No, no. I'm terrified of her."

      "But you don't let her steamroll over you," James insisted, noting the look of discerning on her face. "Like that day she was questioning your class rank."

      "You know about that?" Davina asked, looking away from her cup to glance at James.

       "Yeah, of course. Remus filled me in," James said. Davina curiously noted how his ears warmed as he continued to speak. "I mean I knew you were smart, but you're incredibly brilliant. And I thought it was kinda hot."

      Davina furrowed her eyebrows at his words and faces forward, unable to meet his gaze. 

      "Lily's is great, but you're brilliant."

      Davina felt a small smile reach her lips, "Thank you."

      "Does Ms. Davina and Mr. James need anything else? Ikki can get more!" The voice of Ikki interrupted their conversation.

      James smiled at the elf, "Um, no. I think we're good, Ikki. Thank you very much."

      Ikki bowed and left the two alone once again disappearing behind the frame of the booth separating the vicinities.