xiv. Red, Gold, Gryffindor!

Chapter FourteenRed, Gold, Gryffindor!

Chapter Fourteen
Red, Gold, Gryffindor!

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

It'd been a few days since the night in the common room where James had fallen asleep on Davina. Not wishing to wake him up and overly exhausted from that day's studying, Davina found herself falling asleep. Needless to say, Sirius and Roman were in a fit of laughter to find them the following morning.

Neither had spoken about that night and the two merely acted casual with one another (or at least as casual as they could).

      On the morning of the first Quidditch game of the season, Davina was found at breakfast, wearing James' Gryffindor scarf. Across her, Roman was hungrily eating a plate of food.

      "Diggory, save some for the rest of us," Sirius Black called as he occupied the seat beside her. Davina glanced around her to see the Marauders sitting around them and felt the warm touch of James' hand on her shoulder.

      He smiled at the girl whispering, "Morning, Covey," and handing her another note.

      "Good morning, James," she replied. "Nervous?"

      "Not at all," James said. Davina was able to catch his lie remarkably quick. Despite not wanting to truly admit it, James was nervous for his first game as Quidditch captain. He'd spent hours on end practicing with his team to prepare them for the season (hours which Davina endured in the freezing weather). Davina knew he didn't want to fail, and she knew he wouldn't.

      Noticing the anxious bouncing of his leg and tapping of his fingers across his thigh, Davina reached out and hoped her touch would ease his nerves. She watched as he stilled and tightened his fingers against her own.

      James ate his breakfast with one hand, not wanting to let go of Davina's. "You look good in my scarf, Covey," he commented once they were on their way to the Quidditch stadium.

     Davina had one hand in James' and the other was wrapped tightly around his bicep as the mass student body walked in the same direction. Everyone in school was in a Quidditch craze for the start of the season. Especially with it being Gryffindor vs. Slytherin in the first match.

      Davina let her hair fall over her face to hide the growing blush. Mentally she scolded herself for reacting to the comment. It's an act, she reminded herself, it's just an act.

      The two stopped at the entrance and stood in clear view of the passing students. James brought his forehead down and connected it with hers, except this time his hand was resting on the side of Davina's face. She breathed in deeply at his close proximity. "Good luck, James," She said as calmly as she could given the circumstance.