"Cool" Friends

They both trotted down the awful smelling, already-chewed gum infested cement sidewalks with their arms locked together. Terezi had he chin pointed up to the sky, letting her nose intake their surroundings. The bleak smell of cement wafted in the air. Everything smelt dead. Even the people with their blank expressions. Almost everyone who passed them didn't even spare them a glance. A sudden blast of cold air hit them making Terezi shiver. "Fucking cold ass air," he muttered more fire out of his mouth. "It's balls cold out here!" Terezi's teeth clattered as she pushed the words into the frigid air. Her grip tightened around his arm as she tried to get closer to the human heater that is Karkat Vantas. With this action he became even more warmer. He felt cold but his skin was fire. He expected her to remark on how warm he was but she stayed quiet. The noise of her cane tapping against the cement seemed louder than it usually would be. She tapped it to an unsteady rythm that sounded familiar. In the back of his mind he questioned it he had heard the rythm before but he just assumed that the rythm was embedded into his mind after the years of hearing it. Or maybe all her cane tapping sounded the same. Whatever, it doesn't matter anyways.

God he hated living in a fucking desert. It'll be so hot you could cook an egg and then the temperature would drop so drastically during the night and colder months. Why do people like Las Vegas anyways? He didn't understand. Was it just because of all the casinos? People who went their were addicted and were always smoking cigarettes. People go bankrupt and their lives spiral out of control. He wasn't gonna waste his hard earned cash at places like those. Well, if he had any hard earned cash (which he didn't.)

"So," she started sparing him a glance, her grin could be heard in her voice."What are you gonna get?" The query slipped out of her mouth like a sweet harmony. Karkat let an 'um....' escape and thought about it. Not really, he wasn't contemplating what to get because his response was dry and triple dipped in sarcasm. "I think I'll buy the most expensive pastry they have there. Wait. No, fuck the pastry. Fuck that place too. Let's just go to that fancy breakfast place that just opened up that sells 'gourmet' avocado on toast like it's coming out of their asses! And sell these pieces of 'earth's finest modern foods' - more like pieces of shit - for $17.95! I applaud the little fuckers who thought that that was a good idea." His dark eyebrows were furrowed as he sarcastically clapped. "But seriously who in their right mind thought: 'wow, I have nothing to eat except for this piece of toast and an avocado! Wait a fucking minute...' Then boom! The 'master piece' known as avocado on toast is made!" Karkat continued. He didn't know why though. There was a long pause, or it felt long at least. Giggles arose from Terezi as she stopped in her tracks. Wait, what was he fucking talking about again? Shit, he doesn't remember. But she found it entertaining like most of his other rants. When her laughs ceased she responded with wit. "Well, what do think went through the mind of the guy who discovered salt? 'Gee, I would what this rock tastes like!'" Her shit eating grin felt as if it was going to split her face in half. "Pretty much the same thing except one actually makes food better while the other one is just overrated and is just a ploy to get more money," Karkat scoffed. Terezi chuckled. "You're probably right," he could tell that she was trying to look at him. She was looking behind him, close enough.

At that moment Karkat just stared at her. Examining her features. Examining how many freckles danced on her face, wanting to count them all. Examining her hair, how it looked like fire when the sun was set upon it. Examining her eyes, how even with her cherry shades on he could still see the bright splashes of light teal and wondering how they looked before her supposed 'best friend' had fucked them up leaving only the faded teal. Examining how pretty she was- wait, what the hell are you doing? He thought to himself. Yeah, what was he doing? Karkat blinked and got out of his daze as blush dusted his cheeks. "What do you mean that I'm 'probably right'?" He said so she wouldn't raise any suspicions about his long pause. "Why can't we just reach a consensus just one fucking time?" Karkat slid his hand down his face. Terezi only shrugged. He nudged her to signal her that he was going to start walking again."Anyways," she said obviously changing the subject. Her cane tapped rhythmically on the cement once again.