Chapter 9

After returning back to Shengjing[1], Zhong Zheng Lin could finally let out a sigh of relief. As long as he left Qingzhou, left that place which made him feel awkward, Zhong Zheng Lin assumed that he would be able to quickly regain his usual meticulous personality and composure. Furthermore, he would be no more troubled by the guilt and those strange emotions.

Just like how Zhong Zheng Lin has expected. In the next few days, he has calmed his mind and collected himself. However, he became even more strict with himself. He believed that his mind had been disturbed by those improper thoughts about her. Hence, Zhong Zheng Lin grew to be fond of practicing paintings and calligraphy in his spare time what contributed to the cultivation of one's moral character and temperament.

The mood of her Ladyship, consort Shu, was completely different. Unlike Zhong Zheng Lin's serenity consort Shu was extremely anxious. Tian Fu Shan has reported to her that after her younger son had returned to the capital, his temper seemed to become even colder. As a result, consort Shu went all out with pillow-talking to the emperor.

This time Yuancheng Emperor consort Shu's soft pleas took to the heart. He had secretly investigated his sons' inner yard situation. He has found out that Zhong Zheng Lin was not the only one with problems!

The first prince Zhong Zheng Chun neglected his principal wife. He favored a concubine of merchant birth, gracing her for three consecutive months. The crown prince was even more contemptible! He actually kept male prostitutes! The fourth prince and his princess consort had a harmonious relationship, yet the fourth prince didn't flourish with offsprings. Up to now, he had only one son and one daughter. The fifth prince Zhong Zheng Ming had two sons and one daughter. However, he doted his shufei[2] too much, to the point he let her gain the upper hand over two cefeis who were acknowledged by imperial lineage. What a scandal! Since the sixth prince hasn't married yet, his harem lacked such misconducted people. But on the other side, his inner yard was so desolate it was not far from turning into a temple!

Yuancheng Emperor rarely showed interest in his sons' inner yard affairs as he was busy with state affairs and his spare time was spent in the company of beautiful ladies. But now that he did he became so infuriated he threw away on the spot the teacup. He paced back and forth in the imperial study for quite a while before sending an imperial edict to Zhuzhou.

On the next day, he summoned his sons to the imperial study reprimanding each one of them. He gave them strict orders to manage their inner yards properly and take good care of their offsprings' upbringing. His attitude was uncompromising. He made everyone retreat except for the crown prince only to threw yet another tantrum.

As a result, when Zhong Zheng Lin returned to his private quarters, his expression was dark.

Due to Yuancheng Emperor's orders, Zhong Zheng Lin has for the first time ever called for lady Kong and lady Wu to have a talk with them. When the two came, he silently looked at them for a while and then coldly instructed: "From today onward, you two shall abide properly by the decorums, pay attention to your words and actions and engage in no conflicts." After he finished his speech, he turned and left.

Lady Kong and lady Wu were both perplexed. They could not make head nor tail of his highness's reprimand. They carefully contemplated the hidden message but came to no conclusion.

Tian Fu Shan who was listening to his highness's chiding had directly turned dumbfounded.

When Zhong Zheng Lin received Yuancheng Emperor's order, without much thoughts, he automatically focused on the part concerning the proper management of inner yard. He listened to the issue of the offspring upbringing only out of convenience.

When Yuancheng Emperor heard from his secret agent that sixth prince had gone to reprimand his concubines after returning back, Yueancheng Emperor felt very helpless.