Chapter 3: Forbidden

"Edward...that girl...if she goes with us..." Bella trailed off.

The bronze haired vampire shifted his gaze as he answered his wife's unspoken question,

"If she goes with us, she will be protected. The Volturi will not see her."

Edward watched from the living room banister as his daughter interacted with the human girl, Anya.

"She'll stay at the tree line," Edward continued. "We only need her scent to peak their interest. Her scent is...pungent, as you know. She won't have to be close," he reassured.

Bella gazed at the girl with concern in her eyes.

"I don't want her to be hurt," Bella confessed. "She's only human. If they see her...humans can't know about vampires, Edward," Bella finished with a whisper.

As Edward locked eyes on Anya's gleeful smile, he spoke,

"I know."

As time passed, the energy shifted among the vampires. Anya, however, was too enthralled with her new friend to take notice. It was only when Ezra and Edward approached the giggling pair, that she became aware of her surroundings.

"Father! Look what Nessie can do! Show him Ness, please show him," The tiny human exclaimed.

Anya bounced on her toes with excitement, as her father came to a stop beside her.

"I know of her powers Anya," Ezra spoke.

"Yes, but have you seen it?" Anya questioned as she pressed forward with her new friend in tow.

"It is time to go, Anya. Edward will be leading our way," Ezra spoke as he dismissed his daughter's excitement.

With a pause and a glance towards Edward, Anya offered a small smile before releasing Renesmee's hand.

"Ok," Anya spoke as her father gently reached for her.

The trip was a dizzying blur of white to Anya's human eyes. Disheveled upon their stop, Anya slumped off of her father's back sluggishly.

"You will stay here," Ezra spoke.

Puzzled, Anya peered around at the forest surrounding her.

"This...Does not seem fit for a battlefield," Anya trailed off with confusion.

Her brows drew together with thought as she turned towards her father.

"Where did Edward go with Renesmee? Are the others coming?" She questioned.

Ezra observed his daughter in silence before tucking a stray curl behind her ear.

"They are at the battlefield. The risk is too great for all involved if we take you there," Ezra told his daughter gently.

"I thought I was meant to help? My scent...won't it-" Anya's questioned was abruptly cut off.

"Your scent will reach the battlefield from here. They can't know of your involvement with our kind, flower. It is forbidden," Ezra answered.

"Forbidden?" Anya questioned in a whisper as her hazel eyes peered up at her father.

"Vampires are meant to stay hidden from your world. We are, but a folktale to humans. An outlandish idea meant for films and nightmares," Ezra spoke with disdain. "A human's knowledge of our kind is only permissible if we have the intention to turn them," Ezra continued.

Wide-eyed, Anya watched her father's troubled face.

"I have no intention to turn you and for this, your knowledge of our kind is forbidden," Ezra finished.

Silence surrounded them as Anya processed this new information. Tugging on her father's sleeve, she posed the question,

"What will happen if they find out?"

Stiffly, Ezra spoke,

"They will kill you, flower."

Gasping, Anya's grip loosened from his sleeve with shock.

Soothingly, Ezra stroked his daughter's hair as he spoke,

"This is why you must stay here. It is safer for you." After a short pause, Ezra continued, "When the battle is over, one of the coven members will come to retrieve you."

"Not you?" Anya questioned.

"If I am still able, I will," Ezra spoke.

"Still...able..." Anya trailed off as she observed her father's hardened stare.

Realization slowly dawned on the teen and her face quickly dropped into a mask of sadness.

"Please, be safe," She whispered.

With a curt nod and one last ruffle to her hair, Ezra was gone. Slumping to the ground along the base of the nearest tree, Anya sighed.

"Forbidden?" She questioned to herself in a whisper.

Thinking back over her lifetime with Ezra, Anya realized that he had never allowed her to meet another vampire. Sure, he had discussed other vampires and their capabilities, but never had he allowed her to meet any besides himself. Carlisle and his coven were the first. Lost in her thoughts for hours, Anya was startled when a pair of shoes entered her vision. Abruptly, her head snapped up.

"Hello," the figure spoke.

Chapter three is done! Let me know how you like it so far. <3