Phase 8: Chasing the Days Gone, part 1

We, the Yeomen, believe it's insufferable that the states of Europe constantly strive for integration of Castaways into our society. The Castaways spent their whole lives fighting for their survival; we believe violent behavior is too hard-wired in the Castaway nature and trying to repress it will ultimately lead to a catastrophe.

Our group will actively oppose the more and more prominent Castaway infestation in Europe as we believe it endangers our safety. Our ultimate goal is stopping the Castaway import from the Dead Zone followed by banishing all Castaways from Europe. We believe this is the only way to ensure safety of our children.

- An excerpt from "The Yeomen Manifest", written by Tomáš Zeman in 84 a.I.

It's hard, yet refreshing to share my inmost secret with someone

It's hard, yet refreshing to share my inmost secret with someone. I knew I'll have to tell her sooner or later and I'm glad it's finally out. I'm not sure how will she react - I have to admit that the story of a promising young scientist growing up in a family of religious zealots can sound quite bizarre.

I look at Zoya. She says nothing.

"Well, I hope it answers at least some of your questions," I give her an unconvincing smile.

"So you didn't cut them off," she finally speaks. "They did. I'm sorry for all these thoughts I had. I was thinking you left your family for some selfish reasons, but I was wrong. If I were you... I would do the same. I'm sorry they smothered your talents for so long."

"Fortunately, I managed to break free before I hit the point of no return."

"What happened then?"

"Then?" I shrug. "You already know. I studied at the university, got several degrees and internship with DIANA. I found a job as a lab assistant and, when I combined it with my scholarship, could afford to rent a nice flat to live in. Those were the happiest days of my life, but I still missed my family sometimes."

"And you still do?"

I give her a look like I was looking at a stupid kid. "Do you know I would keep this goddamn photo if I didn't? Despite all this, I loved them. Especially Esther. To think how many times I considered reuniting with them... but I've always came to a conclusion it's a bad idea."

"This is your battle to be fought," Zoya shrugs. "I don't know them as well as you do. But growing up without a family which supports and unconditionally loves you... it must have been horrible."

"Yeah," I sigh. "My biggest wish was to have a normal family. Damn, I also wanted to make someone proud! I wanted to be more than a disappointment, an apostate! I hoped they'll finally start to respect me once I claim credit for the cure for Flicker, but then I remembered they consider Castaways God's mistakes."

The girl smiles grimly. "So I suppose they wouldn't be exactly happy if they found out you helped these mistakes to survive."

"Probably not, but still. Maybe if they saw me receiving the Nobel prize and becoming one of the most respected scientists of the century... maybe they would be proud even just a little. You know... the feeling that this is your child standing in front of all these people who are applauding him."