4

Madam Du didn’t consider Jin Lu and Nurse Ye’s presence a problem. When the time came, she just had to think of any reason to send them away. Once they were back, Wei Luo would have already been picked up by the couple. Afterwards, it would be even easier… She could say that Wei Luo had gotten lost, that she was nowhere to be found, and was probably snatched by mountain bandits. Then, she would present a grief-stricken look, it might be good to also get a bit wounded. Back home, she would at most be punished by the fifth master. After a while, he would cool down, then this whole matter would have passed successfully.

Only getting punished once would bring her a life-time peace of mind, what a good deal.

In great spirits, Madam Du spoke to Nurse Ye before entering the wooden cabin: “I’ll come out for a bit. You look after the fourth miss, make sure she’s safe.”

Nurse Ye nodded her head: “The madam can leave it to me.”

Wei Luo gripped the Nurse’s clothes and clenched her teeth, hiding her expression from view. In the past life, Madam Du had entered the cabin, while she had waited outside with Jin Ci and Jin Ge. Not long after, a woman had come out of the cabin, and saying that Madam Du needed her, had brought her inside.

Jin Ci and Jin Ge had been aware of everything, so they had watched her get picked up by that woman, making no move to oppose.

Once she had entered the room, she wasn’t sure why, but Ah Luo had felt something was wrong. She’d done her best to break free from the woman’s arms and had run out the back of the cabin. There was a brook behind the cabin, and one could get down the mountain following the stream. Knowing that, she had ran in that direction.

Unfortunately, she was too young. She hadn’t made it very far, when Madam Du’s people had caught up with her. Madam Du had been extremely angry. She’d changed her mind about selling the child, and had grabbed her by the neck, intending to kill her directly. At that time, Ah Luo had been very scared and helpless. She hadn’t been able to understand how Madam Du had switched from a kind woman with a smiling face to someone who wanted her life.

She had felt her breath gradually escaping. With tears flowing down her face, she had pleaded with Madam Du “mother, why”, “mother, it hurts”. It had all been useless…

What had Madam Du said at that moment?

Oh, she’d said: “Quickly die already. Once you’re dead, my dear Zheng will be able to live happily.”

Was that so?

They wanted to live happily? And the price for that was her life?

Wei Luo showed a faint smile. Madam Du wanted to pave the road for Wei Zheng, but she didn’t want to help them along. She turned to Jin Lu and asked: “Elder sister Jin Lu’s hairpin is really pretty, can Ah Luo have a look?”

Jin Lu always granted any of her requests. It was just a hairpin, of course she could part with it. She took out the silver jasmine hairpin and handed it to Ah Luo: “This hairpin is sharp. Miss, take care not to stab yourself.”

Wei Luo received it, looking up with a smile: “I will.”

She would certainly not stab herself, because that hairpin had a big role to play.

Waiting in the carriage, Ah Luo was on her best behavior, not making a sound. She was swinging her feet, holding the small hairpin appreciatively.

Madam Du should already be thinking how to get Jin Lu and Nurse Ye out of the way, what would she come up with? For Wei Luo, secretly escaping was not an option, since it wouldn’t reveal Madam Du’s plot. Sooner or later, her life would get targeted again. She wanted to cause Madam Du’s downfall instead, the bloodier, the better.