Episode Ten

"Dude, where's that rope we stashed in here last summer?" Nico's tall form appeared at the barn door with a flashlight in hand

"Dude, where's that rope we stashed in here last summer?" Nico's tall form appeared at the barn door with a flashlight in hand. He was acting as if Eli hadn't just freaked out.

"I'm going to kick your ass." Eli's tone was venomous as his nostrils flared.

Nico's eyebrows shot up as he walked over to us. He was finally listening. Nico glanced between us. "What's up?"

Two guys and a girl followed Nico out. The girl was tense as she leaned against the barn wall. She was afraid of Eli's fierce temper. Rightfully so. If I didn't know any better, I would fear him too.

Ignoring Nico, Eli's arm slipped from my shoulder and down to my hand. He intertwined our fingers before urging me behind him. Eli pulled a flashlight from his pocket and held it high, shining it into everyone's faces.

The small group gasped, throwing their hands up to protect their eyes from the invading flashlight.

"Let me see your eyes." Eli demanded.

"What's going on?" Nico grabbed my shoulder.

"Hype," I whispered as I bit my lip.

"Cassie. Get over here. I want to see yours too." Eli instructed as everyone lowered their hands, squinting.

Cassie stumbled toward the barn. Luckily, the girl helped Cassie find her footing and helped her to lean against the wall. Damn. How drunk was she?

"Dude, what's the problem?" Nico frowned. "They haven't even heard of Hype."

Eli ignored Nico as he carefully inspected everyone's pupils. They were all normal.

Cassie placed a hand on her hip. "I've heard of it. Jeremy got some from a guy up in Kansas."

"Adam!" Nico's body went rigid as he left my side and shoved a guy that looked like a Ken doll.

Adam threw a glare at Cassie. "Jeremy said they all took X. I don't know anything about Hype. How do you know, Cassie?"

"Jenny specifically called it Hype. They've all been bouncing off the walls since New Year's Eve. Come on, Adam, you know X never lasts that long, and their eyes are creepy as shit." Cassie slurred. "You're the one that said Jeremy was good to drive. Even after the whole doughnut and cookie fiasco in Georgia."

Doughnut and cookie fiasco? I could only imagine what that meant, but I knew sugary foods were an obvious sign of the hunger.

"How many more people are coming?" Nico's fists were pulsing and eager. He looked like he might beat Adam's ass at any moment.

"Four in Jeremy's car and Ben will be here with three more in about a half hour." Adam's face went pale under Nico's blazing glare.

"Nico." Eli spun around, yanking me toward the cabin.