Episode Seventeen

It was a long, tedious afternoon as we all worked hard to collect every dead body on the property

It was a long, tedious afternoon as we all worked hard to collect every dead body on the property. Twenty-two bodies in all.

We burned bodies for the rest of the day while we cleaned up the land and moved all the vehicles to the cabin. We were all exhausted, and in dire need of showers as we drove back.

Our observations of the virus had been our only topic of discussion during the cleanup. 

"I think healthy humans trigger some receptor in the brain that's connected to addiction, or maybe it's the receptor that provides instant gratification." Eli rolled down his window. "We know they need our flesh to survive since they can't keep down food. That's probably why our scent is so appealing to them."

"I think if they aren't around fresh blood, the virus evolves much slower than what happened at the bonfire." I leaned forward to look at Eli. "Jeremy's group changed after three days, and our group changed at the end of one night, but they were all around a lot of blood. Jeremy's group wasn't around fresh blood, so I think they just changed naturally."

Nico nodded in agreement. "That's true. That means the hunger is more important than anything. So, when they smelled blood, it pushed them over the edge, which made them change faster. They just weren't screaming yet. I think that comes later after they die from the full transformation."

"I wish I had some good input, but all I can think about is how bad it stinks in here. I think I might barf if I don't get out. I never realized humans smell so bad when they burn." Jasmine climbed out of the vehicle, and sniffed her shirt, scrunching her nose. "Gross. I should burn this shirt too. I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of that stench."

"You want to take a shower?" Eli didn't take his tired eyes off of me as he slammed his door and walked to my side.

Wrinkling my brow, I nodded as I slipped my fingers through his. "Yeah, showering sounds like heaven."

"Dibs on the first shower." Nico appeared next to us with his sniper rifle.

"No." Eli elbowed him in the chest before slowly leading me toward the cabin. "Lilly's first, asswipe."

"Why do girls always get to go first?" Nico feigned aggravation.

Jasmine drilled her finger into Nico's chest. "Girls rule and boys drool. That's why."

Nico squinted at her in disbelief as a strange expression took over his face. He'd been throwing odd glances at her all day.

Jasmine grinned and walked away.

"Holy shit. It finally came to me. I can't believe I didn't recognize you," Nico held his gun tight as he rushed to catch up with Jasmine. "Your dad used to bring you over to my house, and you used to follow me around everywhere. I remember we used to call you Minnie."

I tugged on Eli's hand, silently telling him to slow down. I wanted to hear this.

Jasmine stopped and let out a harsh laugh as she crossed her arms. "You finally figured it out, huh? Well, good for you."