Chapter 4

Zivon's POV

     I pull the trigger, knowing the magazine is empty. It's a plea, really, on my part. I'm begging and teasing her fear, hoping to evoke some new reaction. Anything but the blank eyes that stare up at me with nothing but annoyance. I don't get what I'm hoping for.  

     Instead, she holds my gaze in her pale eyes and refuses to even blink when the gun clicks. 

     And then the sudden realization hits me, and I understand why I'm unable to simply through this small life away. She is far to much like me. 

     I jerk away from her, becoming irrationally paranoid that she may somehow read my mind. I almost growl at the idea, knowing she has invaded my mind without even trying to. I've let her, and I hate myself for it. 

     "ubiraysya," I bark, then watch as the girl huffs and trots out of my office. It's rare for someone to leave this place, which earned it the title of "The Den".  (Get out)

     Sitting back at my desk, I run her face and name through our highly sophisticated data base. I pulled old medical reports, foster care records, and even her first dentist appointment. 

     As her DNA ran though the program, something dinged, finding a match. Along the top of the screen was a strand of letters "Bert Questa- family relative". I click the link to the file. 

     Bert Questa and Nova Questa- Father Neil Questa. The same last name. I can't believe I didn't see this on my own, their faces even look alike.  

     I grip my phone tight in anger, and send a quick message. Bert, my office immediately. 

     Moments later my door flies open. I swivel my computer around to Bert's confused self, and watch as he scans over the information. Shock corrupts his face. 

     Bert's dad, Neil, was a piece of shit, selling Bert to my mob when he was only 13. He had just lost his mother a month prior. 

     "Does she know?" he croaks, his voice barley above a whisper. I don't appreciate the mumbling, but I let it slide.  

     "Net," (no) I take in his expression before continuing,"I think it's up to you if we tell her."

     He looks down, thinking it over slowly. "I'll tell her, but I want it to come from me on my own time. I need to do it soon thought, because I don't want her to accidentally fall for me. That would be weird." His classic, crooked smirk twists his face, and for the first time it disgusted me.  The thought that she would ever love him, or anybody else for that matter, punches something deep in my chest. 

   "Okay, that's all I had to discuss, you may leave." I hold my composure until he is out the door. 

     Then I have to fight the urge to bash my head on a wall. Something about what he said leaves me feeling sick with anger. Not the anger familiar to me, and hotter, uglier type of rage. 

     I'm distracted from my anger by Feliks' incoming call. I quickly answer stand on edge. "Uhh... boss we have a slight problem..." he trails off, knowing the news would most certainly anger me.

     "What Feliks?" I demand. I'm not the type for theatrics. 

     "It's the girl.. She's not in her room, and we have been unsuccessful in locating her." I sear with annoyance and slam  the phone down. 

     I storm the halls, making several calls to the digital security team to check all CCTV footage. I gathered info regarding her hallway number and floor level, and flew down halls and up stairs to find her. I turn sharply onto the hall she was last seen, and a small blur smacks into my chest. 

     She bounces backwards onto the floor, grasping at my shirt trying to stop herself midair. She holds tight and I fall with her, not wanting to shove her off and hurt her worse. I soften her fall but still land onto of her, holding myself up to avoid squishing her. 

     She wiggles and squirms, trying to be free of cage my body has made around her. When she finally stills, I look down at her and unintentionally lean in. We're like twin magnets, and right now in this moment she is the only thing in the world that makes complete sense to me. She's it. 

     The air tingles and sparks between us, an energy set free by us both. It's pure warmth. I know I have to stop this now, or it will be to late. 

Looking down into her eyes, I notice they aren't just simple blue or green. They're thousands of transparent layers of specks and splotches, each with new tints of blue and green. The depth is unreal. Her large eyes are opened even wider, and I'm unsure of the cause. 

I lean into her and in the harshest voice I can muster make an honest threat,"Stay away from me, or I will ruin you."

Her eyes again go wide, and in one swift motion I'm off the ground and flying down a flight of stairs, never looking back.