Chapter 43 - And They Were Neighbors

Penelope

The woman was waiting next to the door, expecting Lilith's news. She heard footsteps running up the stairs. So soon? Wait, no... something was wrong... Garcia saw the young woman, at the top of the stairs, miserable.

There were tears in her eyes.

"Lilith? Wh-"

The young woman flung her arms around Penelope's neck. She was sobbing again.

"They were kissing. I'm drunk... and they were kissing... and I want to cry..."

"You're already crying, love." She squeezed her tighter as the loud music played inside the flat. "Are you sure of what you've seen?" She frowned.

Lilith nodded.

It all seemed so strange to Penelope. She didn't actually think Spencer and Jeanine were so serious.

"Can I stay here? I don't think I could handle potentially seeing Spencer tonight."

"Deal. But you'll have to help me cleaning up tomorrow morning when you're sober."

"Is tomorrow morning Sunday?"

"Yes, why?"

"Then I'm free."

The young woman gave an unconvincing smile. Penelope knew that Sunday mornings were reserved to Spencer and Lilith. They'd often go to cinema, which Penelope knew about due to the number of times that the team had to go pick him up while he was on an outing with Lilith. The team often teased him about it. She'd never have guessed this was how it would have ended. It seemed like there were no longer going to be any Lencer activities to talk about.

Lilith

The young woman pressed her hand to her forehead.

"Ugh, headache."

She got up from the bed Garcia lent her for the night, and made her way to the bathroom, hoping to find some ibuprofen stashed in a cupboard somewhere.

Lilith quickly found Penelope's medecine cabinet, and grabbed one of the pills. She made her way back to the kitchen, and filled a cup with water. Her back was pressed against the fridge as she downed the cup with the medication. From where she stood, she could see the couch Jeanine and Spencer had stayed on for most of the night. Lilith didn't really want to think of the two of them together. It hurt too much.

She could have accepted any answer. She'd have accepted it and moved on if he rejected her. Even if he'd insulted her, although it wasnt really Spencer's type.

But why, why didn't he just answer?

It was simple. He preferred to ignore it. After all, he had a great girlfriend already. He didn't need Lilith anymore. Not even as a friend. He had his own friends.

She was just a nuisance in his life now.

After helping out Garcia cleaning the flat, Lilith thanked the woman countless times.

"It's okay, baby girl. I know you'd have done the exact same."

And with that, Lilith made her way back home.

As she went up the stairs, she saw a figure standing next to her door. Spencer.  He looked happy, for some reason.

"Lilith! I got us some tickets for a screening of "Amélie". It's a bit later today, so you should hurry up so we can get good seats!"

Lilith shot him a dirty look as she walked past him. Her back turned to him as she unlocked her front door, she replied drily.

"Maybe you should go alone, you'll get even better seats if you leave right now."

The young woman made her way into her apartment, closing the door in the doctors' face.

How dare he act so nonchalant? He couldn't have everything. He couldn't both ignore how she felt and be her friend when he was bored. He couldn't simply not answer and act like everything was the same. It simply angered her. Why wouldn't he communicate? She'd made her move, it was his turn to answer, even if it meant rejection. He clearly made the choice to ignore her last night.

So she was going to ignore him.