F O R T Y T H R E E ~ "Talk to me."

This chapter is dedicated to @marvelpottah for voting and leaving lovely comments! Thank you xx

••••

"Axel, who is Maxwell?" I ask, my hands shaking as a result of the anxiety washing over me in never ending tidal waves.

"Shit." Axel mutters, shaking his head and dropping it down so that I can't see the expression on his face.

Rob's words echo through my brain and I find I'm unable to sort any of my own thoughts out. How Axel froze beside me as soon as he murmured the word Maxwell has left me with a million questions.

I stand up straighter and turn my body so that it's now facing Axel. He's visibly unable to meet me in the eye but I try to keep my tone from being condescending when I ask, "I'm kind of worried over here."

"I know. I...shit I didn't want it to happen this way." He groans, dragging a hand down his face.

Finally looking me in the eyes, he blows out a breath. He's obviously trying to calm the nerves I hope he's feeling because I'm currently experiencing a lot of them in the absence of his usual confident personality.

"Can we go back to my place or something? I just don't want to do this here." He explains, guilt written across his features.

"Um, okay." I say, hesitation clear in my voice because I'm almost screaming with frustration.

Why another secret? Why now? Can't we just be happy?

We quickly leave the party with numerous shouts of protests. Claiming that I left my purse at Axel's, we manage to get out. But that's not after I got many complaints thrown at me including one from Brooke saying that I'm a 'granny' for not wanting to party.

But what she doesn't know is that I do want to party. I want to celebrate with my team members and I want to spend the night knowing that all of my effort that has gone into my dance career for the past fourteen years has been worth it.

However, I don't mind that Axel is dragging me away from the party because I genuinely want to know that he's okay. He deserves to be and after our break, I only want us to be happy from now on. That goal may be unrealistic, but I'm determined to at least try to achieve it.

So with the mention of Maxwell, I want to know if I can help solve some of his troubles.

We arrive quickly at his apartment, the party only a few blocks away from it. He leads me into the elevator and silence consumes us once again.

He stand on the opposite side of the elevator from me, his face pulled into a frown as he looks at the ground. His shoulders are hunched as his foot taps on the floor - he's the picture of distress.

Finally reaching Axel's floor, we step out of the elevator and into Axel's apartment. As if suddenly realising this conversation happening, Axel's procrastinating skills quickly become apparent.

"Do you want something to drink?"

"Are you cold?"

"We can sit outside if you're too hot, that party was so wa-"

I cut him off, knowing that this could go on for a while.

"I'm fine, please come and sit." I practically beg.

Taking a reluctant seat on the couch, Axel's leg bounces as he looks me in the eyes for the first time since the mention of Maxwell.

I'm unsure of everything that happening right now. Unsure of where this explanation is going to lead us. But, like a lawyer, I have to be believe he's innocent unless he's proven guilty. I have to because our recently put back together relationship lies in the balance.