Patrolling and Girl Advice

The December air blows in my face and sends chills down my spine, making me wish I'd designed a warmer suit.

Oh well, just more to add to Mark II.

I stand on the roof of an apartment building, my apartment building to be specific, as I wait for Spider-Boy to appear. Not that I can call him that anymore though, since it would probably give me away. I'll just have to resort to coming up with other nicknames, because there's no way I'm calling him Spider-Man if I can avoid it.

Speaking of the boy in red and blue, Spider-Boy lands beside me on the roof.

I feel my chapped lips curve into a smile. "I was beginning to think you stood me up."

"Yeah, sorry. I had some things I needed to take care of."

I nod. "Okay, well now that you're here, tell me how this patrol thing works."

Last time we met, I'd promised Spider-Boy that I would help him patrol Queens from now on, whenever I could.

"It's really pretty simple," he says. "Literally all you do is swing through the city, or whatever you do to get around, and look for people committing crimes or people who need help. Usually it's just petty robberies or people who need directions."

"Sounds easy enough."

He nods and stays silent, looking off into the distance, deep in thought.

"...Something on your mind?" I ask, a couple moments later.

He looks over to me. "Well....kind of, but I doubt you could help at all."

I shrug. "I happen to think I'm pretty good at giving advice."

"I'm sure you would."

I roll my eyes, smirking. "Seriously though, ask me. I might be able to help."

He sighs. "Okay, fine. What does it mean when the person you like tells you that they love you, but they don't love you at the same time?"

My eyebrows furrow. "Um, what?"

"See, I told you. There's nothing you can do to help. Girls just make no sense."

I roll my eyes again. "I am a girl, Bug Brain. You said this is the girl you have a crush on, right? Couldn't she be telling you that she likes you, but just as a friend? I think you might've got friend-zoned, dude."

"But I didn't say anything! Our friend just made a stupid joke!"

I shrug. "I don't think you have to actually say anything in order to get friend-zoned."

His shoulders slump and he sits down on the edge of the roof. "Well, that's great. Totally awesome." He says sarcastically. "Didn't even get the chance to tell her that I like her, and I'm already friend-zoned."

I bite my lip and sit down beside him. "Well, I could be wrong. Girls are confusing. Maybe she actually likes you and was just looking to see how you'd react? I don't know..." I place a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry...but I'm sure she'll come around eventually. She might just end up falling head over heels in love with you, you never know."

He turns to me, and I see a twitch of a smile under his mask. "You don't have to try and make me feel better, you know."

"I'm serious! She might!"

He laughs, "it doesn't matter. She's my friend, and I'm happy with that. She's way out of my league anyway, it's just a stupid crush."

"I doubt she could be totally out of your league. I mean, look at you, you're Spider-Man!"