Chapter Four

The evening following Cordelia's discussion with Charles, Lord Alfred had orchestrated a grand party, inviting all of Loddington's neighbors in honor of the visiting Heyworth's. Cordelia had been painstakingly planning the menu with Mrs. Beadle, hiring the band, and all the other important necessities that go along with hosting a ball. Peering over the invite list, she found herself quite proud. There were only a handful of families attending that grated on her nerves, and one of her dear friends, a Miss Elizabeth Norton, would be in attendance.

     With all of the preparations finalized, Cordelia now had to manage to get herself ready for the evening. She pulled her wild curls from her braid and, with the help of her lady's maid, piled them atop her head in the style of an updo she found in a magazine. Lastly, she pulled on her gown, a brilliant purple that flattered her coloring nicely. The dress was one of her favorites, it had dainty butterfly embroidery along the hem and sleeves, with black beading that glittered when it caught the light correctly. 

     She usually didn't pay much attention to her appearance, but as this was one of her first gatherings as hostess of Loddington, she felt pressure to dress in her finest. She put on her lace gloves and went descended downstairs to the foyer, where she and her father were to greet the guests as they arrived.

     "Cordelia, you look rather nice this evening," Lord Alfred being a serious man meant this as the most polite compliment he could give. She bowed her head to father, who looked rather nice as well. 

     "Thank you father, I haven't missed any of the guests, have I?" She asked. 

     "Surprisingly, my dear, you are right on time," he said, as a car pulled up to the house's opulent front entrance. Cordelia shook off her father's remark as she shook the hands of the guests. They continued in this way at the front door for what seemed to Cordelia like hours. She felt as though it would never end, until a delicate finger tapped her on the shoulder, knocking her out of her daze.

     "Lady Cordelia, a pleasure as always," her friend joked, bowing to her in a way so serious and dramatic it made Cordelia giggle, which caused Lord Alfred to shoot her a look more serious and dramatic than even Elizabeth's bow. She embraced her friend, happy to see her when she felt so otherwise overwhelmed. Her father didn't approve of her acquaintance with Elizabeth, as her family wasn't a member of the nobility. While they weren't titled, they were extremely rich. Mr. Norton, Elizabeth's father, was American, and the owner of one of the country's most prolific railway lines. Cordelia, of course, didn't care about any of this, Elizabeth was just good fun.

     The Nortons were the last of the guests to arrive, and Elizabeth strung her arm through Cordelia's as they made their way to the dining room.  "Tell me, my friend, how is it going with your guests?" She whispered, placing her gloved hand around Cordelia's ear as she leaned in. Cordelia rolled her eyes to her friend, shaking her head as she let out a laugh.

     "That is just like you to jump right into the gossip. Aren't you supposed to ask me of the weather, or compliment my ensemble first?" She responded, getting an eye roll back from her friend.

     "The weather is the weather and your ensemble is just as lovely as you are," she rushed out impatiently, "now tell me what it's like hosting the Heyworth's!" Elizabeth lived for drama, and she knew that Cordelia would have to have something juicy to tell her. She had heard about the Heyworth heirs, and was hoping Cordelia would have something interesting to share with her. "What's the eldest like? Michael, right?"

     "Malcolm, and he's fine I suppose. He seems just like his father," she said, keeping her voice low as they approached the table. Her friend rolled her eyes to demand more details, as Cordelia continued, "I'm sure you'll see for yourself by the time the night is through."

     "Fine, if that's all I'll get out of you. Now, what about the younger one? I've heard he's rather shy." Upon saying this, Cordelia locked eyes with Charles engaged across the room in conversation with one of their neighbors. Cordelia couldn't look away, try as she might, and it seemed like Charles couldn't either. "Delia, hello? Who is that you're looking at? Oh my, is that him? The youngest?" Elizabeth's voice became higher pitched with each question, and Cordelia had to give her a gentle "sh," to calm down again.

     "That, my friend, is Lord Charles, the youngest of the Heyworth brothers. I was determined upon their arrival to stay as clear from them as can be, but for some reason, I can't quite figure the youngest brother out, there's something about him that I don't understand." Cordelia admitted to her friend, whose eyes were widening upon the discovery of some drama. She began to squeal to Cordelia until she received a pinch from her friend on her hand. "This stays between us, Elizabeth, promise me?" Cordelia begged.

     "Oh alright, I promise," Elizabeth started. Cordelia was about to breathe a sigh of relief when Elizabeth grabbed her arm and yanked her over to the side of the room where Charles was in the middle of his own conversation. He stopped when he saw the two ladies approaching, and shot a curious eyebrow to Cordelia. She imagined she must look ridiculous, being dragged about the room forcefully by Elizabeth, who most likely didn't even ring in at an even five feet tall, and had the tiniest frame she's ever seen. 

     "Lady Cordelia," Charles began," you look radiant this evening." Cordelia felt a blush creeping to her cheeks and looked towards her friend to hide it from Charles' gaze.

     "Thank you, Lord Charles," she said, and upon a squeeze from her friend at her side, "may I introduce my dear friend, Miss Elizabeth Norton." 

     "Miss Norton, charmed," he said, bowing towards Elizabeth, his stare never leaving Cordelia. Elizabeth gleefully took in the exchange, Cordelia staring at Charles, Charles staring at Cordelia. They stood there awkwardly for a moment until her father tapped his glass at the head of the table, signaling for the party to head to their seats.

     Seated beside her father and, regrettably, across from Lord Malcolm, Cordelia took in a nervous breath as she stood to deliver her speech to her guests. "Welcome all to my father and I's dear home. Please, enjoy dinner, and I hope you join us after our meal for a bit of dancing and entertainment." She looked onto her guests, greeted with smiles and nods. She looked to Lord Charles, who had a brilliant smile plastered onto his face, and quickly looked away, as to not get caught up staring at him in front of everyone else. She was about to sit down when Lord Malcolm let out a belch so loud, Cordelia could've sworn it shook the wine in her glass. He mumbled an apology, and Cordelia returned to her seat. 

     The meal began, and every time Cordelia looked to Lord Charles, he flashed her that same smile. When she looked to Lord Malcolm, he tried his best to give her a smile too, though his mouth was filled with the first course. She groaned quietly to her friend sitting beside her.

     "Oh Elizabeth, I fear it's going to be a very long night," she mumbled.

     "It most certainly is," Elizabeth said excitedly, taking a cheerful sip of her drink