Chapter Sixteen:

The subsequent weeks passed Cordelia by with shocking speed. In contrast to her relationship with Charles, her dalliance with William was moving so quickly. Like most things in her life, Cordelia was suspecting this had something to do with her father. Throughout every dinner with the Bishops, Lord Alfred was there, a quizzical eyebrow perpetually analyzing Cordelia's every move. 

     When William wanted to take Cordelia riding, he always asked Alfred first. When William wanted to take Cordelia for a ride in his Model Ford, Lord Alfred was always the first to know. To Cordelia, it seemed that her father was relishing the respect he was shown by William, as well as the control he felt over this preferred relationship. Cordelia didn't really mind though, she fell for William so suddenly she even shocked herself.

     It wasn't difficult for her to get caught up in his captivating blue eyes. He was elegant and refined, and there were many instances in which the couple would pass the evenings with William reciting prose or reading to Cordelia. Raised as the eldest and in line to inherit the expansive Bishop fortune, William had all the refinements of a prince, and to Cordelia's delight, she seemed to get along well with his parents, and he got on well with Lord Alfred. 

     One of the only people, it seemed, that wasn't a big fan of William's was Cordelia's best friend, Elizabeth. They were walking the distance from Loddington to the nearest village. It was autumn, and the most delectable apples were in season and sold by small "Mom and Pop" vendors throughout the town. "Lizzie, are you free tomorrow? William was thinking we could all go swimming at the lake!" Cordelia told her friend excitedly. Despite the walk going by without incident earlier, Cordelia saw her friend's shoulders tense, and a few seconds later, Elizabeth stopped ahead of Cordelia and pivoted on her heels to face her. 

     "When will the charming young Lord Bishop be headed back to his own estate?" Elizabeth asked, approaching the question as carefully as she could, but Cordelia could still sense there was a bite in her voice

     "Would you like for him to leave?" Cordelia asked, her eyes widening at what she thought her friend was implying. Elizabeth looked hesitant to answer, for fear that she would hurt her friend. "Say it, Lizzie, what is it you're thinking?" 

     She took a deep breath before she looked back up to Cordelia, her light blue eyes deadly serious. "Delia, you know I love you for all the world, and I would never say something to hurt you, or that I didn't mean..." she trailed off, kicking a stone into the shrubbery that lined the dirt road. "I think you're rushing into whatever it is you have going on with William. I understand you're trying to forget about what happened with Charles, but I think you're going about it all the wrong way."

     Cordelia suddenly had that feeling you get in your dreams when you go out without clothes on. It was as if Elizabeth was stripping her of some protective layer. "Respectfully, Elizabeth, I'm not sure you understand a word of what you're talking about," she said, trying not to sound as defensive as she felt.

     "Not to mention, if you truly were my friend, don't you think you would be supportive of me? Instead of whatever it is that you're feeling right now." Passing by a man fixing up his wagon, the two lowered their voices.

     "Truly your friend? As if I could be anything but! Delia, you are allowing your feelings for this newcomer to clog up your vision. I am one of the only friends you possess in this whole world, just as you are mine." Elizabeth's feet began to pick up and she started walking faster down the path, anger fueling her motion.

     "Exactly! And you should be grateful that you have me for a friend in the first place!" She exclaimed without really thinking about what she was saying. The minute her words left her mouth, Elizabeth's face fell.

     "G-grateful?" She stuttered, visibly upset. Cordelia noticed tears were welling up in her light blue eyes. Before her tears could spill onto her flushed cheeks, Elizabeth hiked up her skirts and began to storm off in the opposite direction. "Good day to you then, Lady Gardiner," she said, her last words dripping with sarcasm and anger.

     This is bad, Cordelia thought to herself. She continued walking towards the village, absentmindedly purchasing little trinkets for herself. As she was shopping, she couldn't help but notice items like ribbons, fabrics, and pairs of shoes that would have looked dazzling on the very same friend that had just stormed off away from her.  

     A pang of hurt resounded in Cordelia's heart, and she knew she must make this right with Elizabeth. She was, after all, practically Cordelia's sister.