Chapter 14

Jake woke in a large tent, surrounded by rows of fellow relief workers, all still snoring. It had been a long day yesterday, sixteen hours of driving straight through. The refugee camp just outside Pamalapa, Guinea had been crawling with activity despite the time.

The refugees came from some of the poorest parts of the country and brought with them all of the problems of poverty. They were malnourished and many had diseases. The Consortium healers were working around the clock to see that endogenous infections like malaria, typhoid, hepatitis or the dreaded ebola didn't become epidemics in the new camp.

Jake rose and made his way quietly through the rows of sleepers. Outside it was still dark but there was a brightening in the east and dawn would come soon enough.

Despite the early hour, the quartermaster was up and on site. Jake had grown to like the old man. He was gruff and still reminded Jake of a drill sergeant. But he worked himself as hard as he worked his people. He had strong protective streak and he took pride in his workers.

"Jake," he said with a nod. "Thought you'd be sleeping in. Hopper doesn't come until nearly noon."

Jake was supposed to head Bamako base by hopper that day, for his week off in America.

"Was just gonna call home," Jake said. "Tell them I can't come. There's so much to do here right now."

"I've other workers..."

"Yeah, but it wouldn't feel right. Besides, I can't miss this excitement," Jake joked.

"I'd have thought you had enough excitement in Libya," the quartermaster returned. He turned and patted Jake's shoulder. "You're a good kid and a hard worker. I got plenty for you to do, if you're serious."

"I am," Jake assured him.

"Thanks."

The morning kitchen crew was arriving, interrupting their conversation. Jake let himself into the mess tent. It was empty except for the half dozen workers. He found a quiet corner and pulled out his slate.

It was a six hour time difference, so it was nearly noon back home. Mom should be up, getting ready for her evening shift.

It always felt odd, using the portal app and Skype. But Caspar Wyoming wasn't part of the Consortium network. He chuckled at that as the phone rang. He was in a refugee camp in Africa with access to the most advanced network in the galaxy, but America was too primitive for it. Who would have thought?

"Jake," mom said. "I didn't think you were getting home until late tonight."

"Yeah I wanted to call about that. I don't think I'm going to make it back at all."

"Is there a problem? The unrest? It's all over the news."

"No, no problem," he said. A worker went by and held out a biscuit. He took with a nodded thanks. "It is the unrest. Don't worry. I am safe. It's just, they've got so much to do. I can't leave. Besides, some extra work shifts will look pretty nice. We paid off the heating bill but I'd like to re-insulate before next winter."

"Oh Jake, don't overwork yourself for us. We are getting by."

"I know we are getting by," Jake said. "I just want to help here. This is important, what is happening here. And I promise I will make it back next time and we can plan Cynthia's graduation party."

Cynthia would graduate in a month and already had plans to move to Shoshone Station with a couple of friends. She'd taken her educational potential exam. Her friends spent almost every day together, studying on their slate. They hoped to pass basic education within a few months of graduating American school and start college in the Consortium somewhere.

Always the environmentalist, Cynthia wanted to take Basic Agriculture on Shoshone Station and then study ecological engineering at a slower pace. The Arda-gata-thamos had recently set itself in orbit around Mars. It was mini station/spaceship that contained one industry; a giant technical school for terraformers. Cynthia hoped to land a job on it and she joked that Jake might not have the furthest commute in the family. He wished her well.

"Both of my babies are growing up," Mom said.

Jake thought he heard a sob in her voice. "Mom, please," he whined. "And you still have Jamie and Mike."

She gave a dry laugh. "I know. And I'm proud of you, both of you. You know that, right?"

"Yes," he told her. Abioya and Chatura arrived, sparing him further embarrassment. "Mom, I got to go. It's time to get breakfast and get to work here."

"I love you," Mom said.

"I love you, too."

"Aww, he loves his mother," Åse said from behind him as he signed off. He blushed crimson. If anyone else had said that, he'd have been pissed but he liked Åse joking like that with him. It felt nice.

"I just messaged her to tell her I wasn't coming home. Planning on staying here and working extra," he said. He gave her a sidelong look as they joined the breakfast line.

"We already worked extra," she said. "This is our regular shift, remember."

He felt dumb, but then he thought, she'll be around as well. He got a plate and spooned some food on it.

"Ken-Kozaki," Abioya said. It was a consortium saying meaning something along the lines of "drop your egg" a reference to the lucky eggs they gave out at Asha-Tanga. It was a pretty mild cuss word, but about as foul as Abioya ever got. "I was hoping you were heading back. I can't message mom, so I have to send a letter."

"A letter?"

"To tell her I am staying the week," Abioya said.

"Don't look at me," Chatura said as he filled his plate from the salad bar. "You know I can't leave whenever something exciting is going on."

"I think Torin is heading home to," Åse started and paused. "Where is Torin from? I can never remember."

"No where," Chatura said. "He's a ship jumper. Still he is heading back through Bamako, so he can take your letter."

Abioya nodded.

"Ship jumper" was slang that Jake had picked up recently and Torin, whom he had met a couple times, was definitely one. He was from some planet back in the Consortium but had spent the majority of the last twelve years traveling, working a few weeks on this station, landing a job on a transport for a few weeks and then off loading on another station. The two months he'd spent with the African Administration was the longest he'd worked the same job or lived in the same place.

Jake dismissed Torin from his mind as they all found a seat and started eating. "What do you think they'll have us do today?" Åse asked around a bite of food.

Jake shrugged and set to his own food.