Chap. 22

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
Nor hath Love's mind of any judgment taste;
Wings and no eyes, figure unheedy haste."
― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

---------------------------------------------

Mark's POV

"Welcome sir, it's a pleasure to meet you." our strategic development manager Mr. Hughes said in a welcoming voice. He was a middle aged man in his early fifties. He was very experienced and loyal employee to our company. I shook hands with him and went inside the office.

Recently my grandma handed me a big project going on in our company. She was now convinced that I could handle big projects, after I successfully implemented my previous projects. Today I was having a meeting with the team assisting me on it.

I started taking training to manage Winston's Multi-billionaire Organisation from the time I was in high school. My grandma insisted me for it saying one day I have to take ownership of our organisation, so I needed to be prepared. I used to be trained by best business coaches on how a Multi-billionaire organisation is managed. When I completed my high school I joined the business management course in William's Brown College, along with it I continued my training and started taking small projects. This was the first time I was given this huge project. Its success could assure more progress to our company.

After meeting was over I came back to mansion. My thoughts were stuck on a particular amber eyed stubborn girl. The murderous look she always gave me while I annoyed her never failed to amuse me. I didn't imagined my small prank would turn into a heated moment. I didn't wanted it to end. I was immensely disappointed when that knock sounded at the door. Andy instantly got away from my hold like she was electrocuted. That time I really wanted to hold her into my arms again and finish what we started. I was clueless about why she always had this impact on me.

It had been four days since that incident, not even once she directly looked into my eyes. Everyday when she arrived for her daily shift she directly went to Olivia's room. Every time I went to Olivia's room to call Andy to my room by making excuses like I wanted tea or she needed to make my bed or arrange my reading room, Olivia threw me out of the her room saying there were plenty of maids around for these tasks and I couldn't order Andy around, she was free to go anywhere she wanted. Now I was feeling like I haven't talked to her for ages. Damn, it had started to frustrate me. I'll make sure you can't ignore me anymore nerd.

Andy's POV

Me, Tina and Olivia were talking and joking. Today I was finally having a sleepover at the mansion after continuous insistence of Olivia and Tina for last four days. I was much closer friends with Olivia now. She made me and Tina promise that we had to meet her everyday till she stays in New York and of course we agreed in a heartbeat.

I told my mother that I was having a sleepover at Clara's place and as usual she agreed. At some corner of my heart I felt like I was betraying my best friends Clara and Gracy, having a sleepover without them. I instantly shook that thought out of my mind and decided to tell everything to them soon.

I was still ignoring Mark. For the last four days whenever he tried to approach me I either changed my direction or rushed to Olivia's room. I was absolutely firm on my resolution of ignoring the feelings I had for him. I hoped for them to slowly fade away with time.

Ha, you wish. A tiny irritating voice spoke up in my head.

"Do you guys want me to bring anything from kitchen? I'm going to drink water." I asked both of them.

"No." they both said simultaneously.

I went out of the Olivia's room to kitchen. It was unusually silent at this time of night. I wasn't habitual of watching it that way. I went to refrigerator and picked out a water bottle. After I was done I turned back towards door and my breath hitched in my throat. Mark was standing near the doorway looking at me intently. It was the last thing I expected right now. My heart started beating at the rapid pace.

I quickly turned around and persuaded myself that I was most probably imagining things, maybe due to sleepiness. I opened refrigerator again and drank some more water. I lightly pinched my arm in order to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Then I turned around hoping him to be just my imagination, but no that time my luck was on the vacation. He was still standing at the doorway looking my way. Darn.

I decided to go out of the kitchen from the small space that was remaining on the side of the doorway. My heartbeat was escalating with the every step I took. I still wasn't having enough courage to look directly into his eyes. As I reached near the doorway he stepped in front of me blocking my way. All the plans I had made to avoid him were thrown out of the window.

"Would you please step aside. Olivia and Tina are waiting for me." I said in a low voice avoiding his gaze.

"They can wait a little more." with this he held my waist and pinned me to the wall beside the doorway. I squealed in shock and closed my eyes.

"Why are you ignoring me?" he asked.

"I'm not." I lied looking sideways.

"You can't fool me nerd." he held my chin lightly and made me look into his piercing eyes.

"I-I" I couldn't even form a proper sentence as his proximity and intensity of his gaze was making me immensely nervous. My heart was beating so loud that I was sure it was audible to him.

"Is my closeness affecting you?" he asked with amusement.

Though he was absolutely right, I didn't wanted him to know my actual feelings, so I composed myself quickly and looked straight into his eyes with utter confidence and lied. "No. You don't affect me in any way. "

To my disappointment this increased his amusement.

"Really?" he whispered in my ears causing a tingling sensation to run through my stomach.

"Y-Yes." I gulped harder in order to keep my composure intact still maintaining an eye contact with him.

I gasped in shock when he suddenly pulled me closer to his chest holding me tightly against his body. That was the moment all my logical thoughts flew out of the window once more. Our faces were mere inches apart and our breathings were the only sound audible in pin drop silence of night. Once again I was reciprocating the immense desire that was visible in his eyes.

I came back to my senses the instant I heard footsteps outside. I immediately pushed him away as I remembered my resolution of staying away from him. I hurriedly moved out of the kitchen and saw Tina in the hall.

"Hey what took you so long? I came to check on you." Tina asked with a puzzled expression. Her eyes grew wide as her gaze went behind me. I turned back and saw Mark stepping out of kitchen. He stopped beside me.

"She was busy doing some task I gave her. Right?" he asked me with a mischievous smirk.

My face turned red. "He is right." I said flashing him a murderous glare, but it had no effect on his amused expressions.

"Oh okay. I'm going back to Olivia's room. You make sure to finish your task first." Tina said giving me a teasing look.

"No. I have already finished it. I'm coming with you." I shouted in horror. Thought of being alone with him again was scaring me. Tina laughed as I rushed towards her without giving Mark a second glance. God Dammit, how the hell was I suppose to work for him!