Chapter 6

The king's study was just as gorgeous and grand as the rest of the palace. The walls all had intricate, golden designs swirling up and down them while a large chandelier hung boldly above a desk that looked finer than anything I could ever hope to own. I had to repress a shudder when I thought that the desk was worth more than the gold that my owner had been given for my permanent absence on the farm. If one added in the books that lined many shelves, the massive rug on the floor, and the beautifully created chairs there would be enough just in this room to buy hundreds of slaves.

"Sit, please." The king said. I think he was trying to be polite but his voice came out strong and demanding anyway. I briefly wondered if he actually could ever be kind, but I didn't dare disobey so I sat down as gently and promptly in a chair as I could. "Tell me Willow, how much do you know about werewolves?" he asked.

He was seated just across from me, behind that stunning desk and I knew his eyes were on me, but I was unable to even consider looking at him. Especially now that I was alone with him, his property, and he had just asked me such an intense question. I suppose I didn't truly know that he was a werewolf, but I had heard heavy rumors about it. Though, maybe he was only a quarter beast, the rest man as his father was just a human. Still, I couldn't lie, because if he challenged my knowledge I would have nearly nothing, and the information that I did have was quite heavy handed against werewolves. The last thing I wanted was to offend him.

"Very little, almost nothing." I confessed softly.

My eyes were still glued to my hands. I was suddenly very aware that I was quite filthy. My nails had dirt caked underneath them and the tips of my fingers were stained brown from always being in the garden. The brief rinse in the creek had not been enough and now I was certainly not fit to be sitting in a king's study.

"Do you know what mates are?" he pressed. His voice was gruff and it made my shiver slightly.

"No." I replied.

"Alright, we'll disregard that tidbit for the time being." He continued casually. He didn't seem bothered in the slightest by the fact that I was completely and utterly terrified of him and refused to even look at him. He carried on with his conversation like I was just another visitor, "All you need to know right now is that I have selected you to bear my heir and th-"

"What?" I squeaked out, finally looking at him in shock. I was so surprised by his words I didn't even notice that I had been completely disrespectful. Never in my life had I considered that I would be the woman who would carry anyone's child, much less the king's. And he talked about it so carelessly, like women had children for him every day. Hell, maybe they did.

"You will have my baby. My previous wife left me and we did not conceive a son. Now, as king, it is my duty to have a son to be king after I am gone. My proposition is as such: I will bed you every night until you become pregnant. Then, when you are confirmed pregnant you will move to a manor house I have purchased out in the country. There you will raise my son in peace until he is of age and must learn the inner workings of being a good king. So, you will give me a child, and I will allow you to live in luxury for the rest of your life." He announced.

The king was leaning back in his chair looking both casual and quite proud of himself. His dark brown eyes were locked on me, waiting for a response. As much as I wanted to tumble into the feeling that his eyes offered my mind was refusing to let that happen. And I don't think I gave him the kind of response he expected or desired.

"And if I deny?" I countered.

The king smirked, revealing straight teeth, "Willow, you seem to forget that you are a slave rather often. And I just exchanged your life for a small sack of gold. If you feel that you must deny my generous proposition then I will remind you that I now own you and if I so choose to tie you to a bed and breed you like an animal until you have my son, then throw you out on the street like a forgotten spinster then I shall do so." He threatened.

His words were true. All of them. And as much as he intimidated me the thought of living a loveless, unwanted life was even more terrifying. I had nothing left to lose, but so much to gain.

"Can I make a request then?" I asked. Part of me was delighted that I had such strength in me, but another part of me just wished it would go away. There is a healthy chance I would be safer if I learned to keep my mouth shut. I didn't want him to show me how true all those rumors about his cruelty and temper were.

"I am not promising you anything in advance, but I will listen." He agreed.

"If I am to have your child I want to be married."

The king rolled his eyes, a gesture that struck me as very rude and quite the opposite of royal.

"That is such a human thing to ask for." He scoffed.

"Marriage is a very human thing to desire. However, I don't wish to be a mistress, I will raise your child if I am your wife, and I wish to be respected as such. You may be my owner now and I may be your slave, but I want my children to be treated with reverence." Thinking quickly I added, "And, I wish to have my horse from my previous farm to be brought here."

"Your horse?"

"Yes, he is old and he is my very loyal companion. I want to ensure that he is properly cared for in his old age." I bargained. I decided that the old beast would serve as good company during lonely days and he was the only creature from the farm that I had truly cared about.

"You're very brave considering you were a farm slave less than an hour ago." The king pointed out. His eyes studied me under raised eyebrows and I couldn't tell if he thought my resistance was a sign I was completely and utterly simple, or if he thought I was quite intelligent for establishing my boundaries.

"My master always complained that I had a smart mouth." I replied honestly.

At that King Archer's lips curled up in a smile. An honest one that made my heart stutter. Then he scribbled something down on a piece of paper. Aside from the scratching of the pen on the parchment it was silent in the study for a moment. Then the king put down his utensil and captured my eyes with his, making me catch my breath from across the desk.

"Anything else?" it sounded more like a challenge than an honest question.

Regardless, I replied, "I want to have dinner with you every evening. The child I will carry will be half of both of us and I think it is only reasonable and responsible that I am well acquainted with the other half."

"Very well." The king scribbled for a couple seconds again. The small smile hadn't left. At the very least he seemed amused with me. "Is that everything?"

"Yes."

"Thank God. I will send a guard to escort you to your room. There you will find your maids, feel free to ask them any questions or for anything you feel you should need. If you want to leave your room ask them to find you a guard as I don't want you walking around the grounds by yourself just yet. And, as for our agreement, I will allow you to settle in for two nights before it is enforced." He announced, standing up. "I will see you in the morning, Willow." He called back.

Then he was gone.

***Next chapter at 12 votes.***