XII

XII: Let The Games Begin

~*~

The night before the games begun was obviously always the worst. It was the anticipation before the adrenaline kicked in, what would the arena be like? where would i go? what would be my first move?

My mind clouded with these thoughts and it was so thick it was atleast an hour of tossing and turning before i fell asleep. And even then, the nightmares of my mother left me and instead a lovely nightmare of what was to come tomorrow arrived.

When morning came, breakfast felt sickly. Nerves settled on my stomach like acid, and food burned my throat. I felt as though i was going to be sick, but i carried on eating as i knew i was going to need the nutrition. Ash brushed my hair gently, leaving it down. I was already dressed.

"You should and will be able to go straight for the cornucopia, you have Glimmer, Marvel, Cato and Clove to protect you. Your their beloved ally, you'll make it with or without their help."

I nodded, listening intently to my mentor as i shovelled food down my throat. Bradley also listened, but he seemed to disregard the Cornucopia idea.

"Get knives, you get an axe, and a backpack, get food and all the essentials and kill off as many tributes as you can. If you can't get knives Callista, get a bow, can't do that get a spear or even if you can't do that get an axe. Bradley, stick with the axe." My mentor took a break to eat a bite of a piece of toast.

"You are one of the best trained tributes there, you have plenty of options, you could even go bare handed-but you better not do that-" I nodded at my mentor with an amused smile.

"Look for water and shelter immediately, water is your new best friend. You'll look weak if you die from dehydration of all things." I ran my mind over everything he said, remembering it all.

"Oh, dont step off of that pedestal early or they'll blow you sky high." Damn, brutal much.

"I'm not that thick." I joked as he finished his lecture.

"Alright, Bradley with me, Callista with Ash. Lets get this started."

We all stood up and made our way quickly to the elevator, my stomach churned as the elevator left the floor. Left the safety of the penthouse and took the journey to the dangers of the Hunger Games.

"Callista, Bradley you can do this. Believe in yourself." We nodded.

"Thanks." I smiled and strolled away with Ash.

"Goodluck, Snowflake." Ash smiled, "Ill see you there."

I nodded, walking toward the ship. I stepped inside and sighed, definitely scared out of my wits. I was lead to a seat in between Katniss and Clove. I strapped myself in and waited with no expression on my face.

"Give me your arm." A woman was going around injecting trackers into everyone's arm.

"What is that?" Katniss asked but still gave the woman her arm, stupid question to be honest with you.

"Your tracker." The woman answered after injecting it into Katniss' arm.

She came over to me and injected my tracker into my arm, I didn't show any pain and bit the inside of my cheek at the slight sting.

The lights turned off and switched to a blue aluminous colour. Clove turned to me and smiled excitedly as we began to fly upward.

I glanced towards Cato, who was leaning forward as he smirked at me maliciously. Clove looked back forwards with her smile still plastered on her face. Careers were scary.

**

The journey was short, and afterwards we all separated with two peacekeepers at our sides. The peacekeepers i had, i knew. They led me gently, with no grip on my arms.

"Hey, where are we going?" I whispered, I knew these guys.

"To your tube room, good luck Snow." The one on my left muttered, Daniel.

"You can do it, we're rooting for you." The one on my right continued, he was called Harrison.

Soon enough we arrived at my 'Tube Room' and they opened the door for me. Both of them sent me a quick thumbs up before i walked into the room. I was greeted by my stylist Ash who had a soft smile on his face.

I walked over to him and hugged him, "Hey Snowflake."

"Hi." I sighed nervously. Ash handed me an outfit, like he did when training begun, and told me to change into it. I unfolded it and looked over the outfit before changing.

It was a burgundy red t-shirt, the inside filled with fluff to keep me warm with a matching thick outdoors arena jacket in the same burgundy red colour.

There was also some olive coloured cargo pants which fitted nicely around my legs with a black web belt hooped through the pants. I also had some shiny black hunter boots that fitted me nice and snug. The whole outfit was very practical but in the tube room i quickly grew very warm and sweaty.

"Thanks for this" I smiled at Ash as he returned the smile, turning me around and starting on my hair. He put it up in a high ponytail, with two small strands of hair out at the front. The ponytail was tighter than any other ponytail ive ever had on my hair, i wouldnt be surprised if my hair fell out.

He then told me to close my mouth and sprayed nearly a full bottle of Capitol hairspray. This stuff kept your hair in place for weeks.

Ash then turned me back around by my shoulders and zipped up my coat in silence. He smiled down at me and patted my head like a brother would.

"Thirty Seconds." I was slightly nervous but a little bit of excitement creeped in at the same time, I tried to be confident and excited for twelve year old me.

"If I could bet, snowflake, I'd definitely bet on you." He smiled and hugged me once more, "Good luck."

"Twenty Seconds."

I smiled and hugged him back, "You can do this Snowflake, do it for me, do it for the Capitol and do it for yourself. I love you and you're like a little sister to me, you always have been. I want you to be safe and strong out there."

Ash kissed me on the forehead lovingly, like an older brother would.

"I love you, you were always like a brother to me. If I die, remember me okay? and tell everyone to stop crying at my funeral because I hated half of them anyway." I laughed, "Tell them it was my last dying wish for you to say that."

"You won't die, Snowflake. I know you won't." He spoke confidently, a little too confident for a stylist.

I nodded, "I hope so." And headed toward the tube.

"Ten seconds." I stepped inside of the tube and as it closed I shouted to Ash,

"love you, Ash!" I kind of felt like crying, but now was not the time. I can't cry at all for the next couple of weeks, I can't show any mercy and I can't show any pain.

I can't relax for a second, nor can I put down my guard either.

This is the hunger games.

And I'm prepared to win.

For Ash, For Me, For The Capitol.

I'll be sure put on a good show for my father. I know he's watching.