Chapter 4

WILL

I'm on the airport, waiting for my plane to arive. I wasn't planning on travelling around the world this fast, but my mother bought me a air ticket to Japan and called it "a late birthday present". As if the political cartoon from the 1940s was not enough.
Come on. He was signed!
I smile when I think back to the fight we had made beforehand. I am pleased that she still loves me, even though she has not always been there for me. She was there more often than my father. I thought she was acting weird, we don't even know if my lungs can handle a plane-flieght. For all I know they could just implode when I'm so high from the ground.
The loudspeaker in the airport terminal comes creaking to life, a muffled voice penetrates my music. I take off one of my ear plugs to better understand the message.

Deep inside, I hope it's not about my flight. Because I am not waiting for a gate change to walk to the other side of the airport. As soon as I realize that it is about a flight to Amsterdam, I push my earplug in again and start up YouTube. Stella's face appears on my "reviewable" list. Smiling, I press the film and look at it again for the thousandest time. If YouTube could keep track of how often you watch a video again, the counter would explode.
Jesus, I am really a stalker ...
I smile when Stella appears in my image with her braces. She stands before the NICU with Barb told her. Her high voice burns through bone and bone and I can't resist pausing the video to touch her face.

"Will?"

A female voice wakes me up from my thoughts. I turn around and gasp. The gasp causes me to – almost – choke and I start coughing. I try to find the owner of that voice, but without success. Where does that voice come from and how does it know my name? If it's meant for me at all.

Tears jump in my eyes from coughing and mucus settles in my throat. I stand up and take a deep breath as the strap of my portable oxygen concentrator pulls further on my lean shoulder. but my breath almost immediately gets stuck in my throat when I hear a familiar smile – kind of a chuckle to be honest.

Above the sound that proves that the airport is alive, I hear the most beautiful sound in the world. Her laugh. I look at the display of my phone, I am convinced that the video is still on and I am turning all the way. But the screen is dark and the sound comes close.
Far too close ...
It takes me about eight seconds to spot her brown eyes, and I'm not surprised that when I do that, her eyes look straight into mine.

"Stella?" I asks in between the coughs.

"I've missed you so much," Stella says and she wants to take a step closer.

I get up from the couch, almost falling onto the ground because of my lack of air.

"Stay away from me, Stella!" I yell, walking backwards to get away from her. "Get my infection and I might kill you, remember?"

Stella stands still and I now see that she's crying. "I don't care," she whispers.

"Yes, you do!" I say and I look in her eyes. "You do care, you can't die, reme-mber? You just can't, your parents."

Stella shakes her head and she takes a step closer.

"That's just surviver's guilt," she whispers and she takes another step closer.

I'm nailed onto the floor. I don't know her like this. She used to do anything to stay alive, but now she's ready to get so close to me that she might die. She might die because of me if she takes another step closer.

"Stella..."

"No, Will," Stella says and she looks into my eyes. "I want to be with you. I want to travel with you..."

I shake my head, seeing her is more painfull than I could ever amagine.

"... And if I catch your infection, then it's life. It's over before you know it anyway, better live it with someone you love."
"I've never heard you say that before."

She smiles and unfolds the support of her suitcase. "I learned that from the best."
She stays silent for a second. I'm nailed onto the ground, tears are running over my cheeks. How can she say such things? She knows I can't let her die, I'll have to live my last days with guilt if she dies because of my infection.

"Five feet apart," Stella says and she smiles. "Are you in?"

I want to shake my head, but I nod. I'll live with guilt anyway, so why don't I try to make her happy.
You're crazy, Will.

Stella smiles and I can't help smiling back at her. I missed those pink, full lips. I take a deep breath and smile. Is this a dream? If so, I never want to wake up again.

"But not an inch closer," I say.

"No, five feet apart," Stella replies. "at all time."

The End.

________________________________________________________________________________

Writersnote:

Hello world! So as you can see this is the ending of this fanfiction.
No, but serious, it's short... but it would've not been there without the help of my best friend and fellow writer. 

https://www.instagram.com/thebooklover2002/ )

He's the one who deserves much, much credit for this story. I've wrote it because he inspired me and after I wrote it, he helped inproving things. 

So thank you!

Thank you - the reader of this fanfiction - as well, because without you this story would've never exist either <3

- ImmediatelyWriting

If you want to know what I'm writing, follow me on instagram :) 
Link's in the bio!