30

"Rise and shine you whorebag!" Oliver sang as he opened my curtains, allowing the light to burn my face. Groaning, I pulled a cushion that was under my head, and threw it towards him.

"Missed," my cousin teased as I threw another. "Missed again."

"Fuck off," I groaned, as he pulled the sheets away.

"Nope, you've been moping all day yesterday and I need you to get some air."

I got up unwillingly and looked at Oliver, who gazed at my direction with sadness, but also with admiration. I didn't have time to react, when he instantly pulled me into a hug and kissed my temple.

"I'm so fucking proud of you," his voice cracked.

Even though Oliver was over the top and extremely weird, he was the only person who stood by my side the previous year. He would always bring a smile to my face when he talked about photography and other funny stories. Whenever I had a rough day with Mateo or Laura, I would immediately called him because at the end of every phone call conversation, he would always give me hope to wake up the next day.

But that was before the drugs took over me.

Once Oliver knew about the drug overdose, he immediately searched for a plane ticket to go to Spain, only to find out they were all sold. But that didn't stop him from calling me and find me the best rehab center of the country, something I've always been thankful for.

"Ok," he pulled me away as he fanned his eyes. "This is too depressing, and I'm not wearing waterproof mascara!"

I rolled my eyes and got dressed, putting on a random shirt alongside a pair of leggings and an oversized jacket with my hair in a messy half up-do. Grabbing my phone, I rushed up the stairs and stopped as soon as I saw him standing in the kitchen talking to Oliver.

"Hi," I breathed as Daniel walked up to me, greeting me with a kiss. Hearing Oliver gag behind us, I shot him a glare, causing him to roll his eyes and strut away with his kimono trailing behind, as he muttered something along the lines of horny teens.

Pretty rich coming from him, I would say.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I checked the clock.

"Well," he sighed as he pulled me closer. "Just wanted to pick you up to go to school."

The best thing about having a boyfriend...is also having a personal chauffeur.

I'm probably the worst girlfriend ever right now.

I gave him a sheepish grin as I grabbed an apple and headed towards his car.

***

"You okay?" Daniel asked as he reached out for my hand as we walked to school.

"To be honest," i exhaled. "I've never felt this good in my life!"

Daniel smirked as he stroked his thumb around my knuckles whilst leaving the parking area, ignoring the burning stares of every other student.

We both headed towards the study hall just in time before the bell for the first period began.

"Meet you at lunch?" I asked whilst fixing his beanie. I noticed he was staring at me in a very intense manner, causing me to lift my eyebrow, "What?"

Instead of responding immediately, he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him, our faces inches away, "I lov-"

"BESTIE!" I heard Alex shout as he ran towards our direction, whilst pushing other people away. As soon he stood in front of me, he pushed Daniel to the side and attacked me with a bear hug. "I missed you!"

Chuckling, I patted his back, "can't breathe Alex!"

"Oh shit sorry," he pulled away, whilst Daniel cleared his throat, signalling for him to step away. Alex turned around to face Daniel, "oh hey Danny, didn't see you there!" Earning a glare from my boyfriend.

I chuckled, however, I noticed there was something different towards Daniel's reaction. Normally, he would roll his eyes and show a hint of a smile. This time, he looked pissed at Alex for no reason. I was about to ask him when Jack appeared out of nowhere.

"Hey guys," he saluted as he looked between Daniel and Alex, he must've noticed something was going on when he looked at me. "Hey Astrid, history starts in five."

I nodded and waved the guys goodbye, catching up to Jack who had already begun walking.

"Some tension going on there," I chuckled nervously.

"Yeah, Daniel doesn't like to be interrupted," he agreed. "Especially when he was about to say something important."

We continued our way in silence until Jack spoke first, "you've changed him, you know?"

"What do you mean?"

"Before, he would only laugh on few occasions, his niece being most of them," he began. "Ever since you confronted him, he was more...positive? Not that he was depressed or anything-"

"Jack, What are you trying to say?" I chuckled as he struggled to find the correct words to use.

"What I'm trying to say is," he cleared his throat. "Ever since you and Daniel met, he somehow came out of his shell. His mother's death affected him greatly and his sister was sent to get treatment, leaving Isabella be the only good thing in his life. He would hardly leave the house, just to be with her, not to mention his dad being a total ass."

"Believe me I know," I agreed, remembering the time he wiped his hand after shaking me. "But what does this go to do with me?"

"Well, ever since you confronted him, he wouldn't stop talking about you. He would always talk about how you would run your hand through your hair whenever you didn't know the answer to some biology question, or how big your smile would get whenever Gigi got an answer correct in Spanish after helping her."

I felt my heart beat against my rib cage. Did Daniel notice those small little things about me?

"I never knew he would pay so much attention," i whispered, still astonished by what Jack told me.

"When Daniel finds something or in this case, someone, curiosity gets him. Besides, I kinda think he also changed you."

He was right. Daniel did change me, in a similar way. Before, I felt as though I was walking on eggshells when it came to my past drug addiction and self harm. However, once Daniel and the rest of the group came into my life, I forgot about my troubles. I would look at myself in the mirror and I would no longer see a teenager who fucked up. I saw a normal girl who had an incredible group of friends and a guy that I've fallen for.

"How do you know?" I whispered.

"You might want to cover your wrist better," he pointed at them. "I mean it's hardly noticeable, but with somebody who has a pretty good eyesight like me, you might want to be careful."

I nodded as we walked our way to class.

"Thank you," I smiled. "I didn't have an easy life before."

"It's alright," he dismissed with a smile. "Besides,that proves to me that you're pretty badass. Not everyone can face the world with a smile on their face."

At that moment, I realised how lucky I was to be surrounded by amazing people.

Maybe moving here wasn't a bad idea after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello you Fine Specimens!

I know it's been a while since I've posted.

I'm having a bit of a writer's block and I don't know how to write my ideas.

Anyways.

Next chapter may or may not have Daniel's P.O.V

You never know...

Hehehe