003

The medical bracelet feels like a shackle. It drags me down, and I watch as people's eyes drop down to it, itching to know the words on the back. With it, I am chained. Without it, i am empty.

-

"Would you like a cup of water?" I offer, handing Billie a cup although she didn't answer. She brings the cup near her lips, and then hesitates. She keeps the cup there, less than a few inches from her lips before putting it down and staring at it. Her lips part and she reaches for a napkin, moving toward the cup before dropping the napkin altogether.

Her head lowers and she starts to write in her notebook. I watch her write, the medical bracelet on her wrist catching the lights of the school cafeteria. I was curious about what was on the other side of it, knowing that the bands either have medical information on the front, or back.

I notice Billie's hand had stopped moving, her eyes on mine. I held her gaze, and she put her pen down.

"May I see it?" I ask, looking at her bracelet. She blinks and grabs her pen, writing once again. It was a stupid question, and I knew I wouldn't receive an answer.

"Can I at least know your favorite color?" I sighed, resting my palm on my hand.

"Bright green" she replies, startling me. I hadn't really expected an answer "And yours is yellow. That's an ugly color combination"

"They're beautiful on their own, though" She goes on, tapping her pen against the table "But together, they look bad."

I pause for a second, letting her words wash over me. It was the most she's ever said to me at once, and her voice gave me chills. it wasn't beautiful, it was flat and monotonous. She didn't sound real.

"Well," I hummed "Maybe you just haven't thought of a good way to pull it off"

She shakes her head "I think of everything."

"Nope" I tease, excited that I'm getting to talk to her "I bet you only see the colors mixed together in some sort of...swirl. Imagine them side by side, sort of like a-"

"Don't bet anything." She cuts me off "I said it's ugly. That is my opinion, so shut yourself up already"

I flinch a little, not expecting the sudden sas. I mean, it was more her words rather than her tone, because she continues to sound like a slightly more realistic version of eva from WALL-E.

"No need to be rude" I huff. She exhales loudly and starts writing in her journal. I wonder what she writes in there, maybe it was something interesting, maybe it was just a jumble of nonsense that only made sense to her. I wasn't desperate to know, I really didn't care, but it would still be interesting to get inside her mind for a moment, to see what she sees.

The bell rings, and I stand. Billie doesn't move, and I tap her shoulder to get her attention. She looks at me, and then at all the students leaving the cafeteria behind me. She gathers her things and brushes past me.

Billie was an interesting person to be around. Sort of. It was only the second day of school, but I enjoyed her presence. She didn't say or do much, but she was there. Maybe this was just leftover appreciation that she actually held a conversation with me, because she really was only there. I slump in my seat, frustrated with myself. I needed new friends.

I eventually make my way to class and take my seat.

"Welcome to your second day of Algebra II" the teacher, who's name i can't remember, exclaims, clapping her hands "More ice breakers! But, since it's the second day, I'm going to be handing out assignments. I'm going to point at someone, and they will tell me who they'd like to work with."

I put my head in my hands. Seriously? I didn't have friends. My only friend had moved away over the summer, and I've already prepared myself for junior and senior year to be a lonely one. I forgot about the existence of group projects entirely, and my heart sank knowing I'd never get picked, and I'd never have anyone to pick.

"Billie? Is there anyone you'd like to work with? you can work alone if you'd like"

"Riley" She said, and I jumped a little, not expecting her to say my name. I lean back in my seat, watching as all the other students pick, and get picked. I knew she picked me because she knew me, but when she had the option to work alone, she turned away from it. Does that mean she doesn't want to be alone? Or does it mean she just wants my company?

**

"I don't want to" Billie mumbles while we were on the bus going home. I turned to her, raising an eyebrow "No, we aren't doing that" she continues, her eyes on the floor.

Oh. So she was talking to herself.

"Do you want to come over?" she asks, her eyes still on the floor. I stood quiet, unsure if she was talking to me or not. The bus stopped in front of the middle school, and the volume in the bus increased.

"Hello? I asked you a question" she taps on her notebook, her eyes narrowing at the floor

"Oh, me?"

"Yes." She sighed "Do you want to come over? To work on the project?"

"Uh, sure. Just give me your address, I'll come over later. I have to tell my mom where I'm going first" I open up the new contact option and hand her my phone.

She furrows her eyebrows and then opens her own phone, I notice she's looking at her phone number, and I chuckle. It was strangely cute. She hands me the phone back, and i send her a text.

Me: hello billie

She stares at her phone for a second. and then looks back up at me. "Why are you texting me? I'm right here"

I go to answer, but Billie's eyes were already down, typing a reply.

Billie: You missed your stop.

Billie: You should pay more attention.

My jaw falls open a little and Billie watches me, her face blank. "I would have told you to get off, but you need to come to my house anyway"

I shake my head and call my mom, letting her know where I'm going. My mother was not very happy i didn't come home first, but she didn't demand i come home immediately, so I'll consider that a win.

Billie gathers her things and puts her bag over her shoulder. The bus comes to a stop, and i notice it's nearly empty.

I stand up to let Billie walk in front of me and follow her out of the bus.