Chapter 15

I feel like this book needs a new cover.

Also, this chapter's longer than usual, so enjoy :)

Can't Help Falling in Love- Haley Reinhart

𝖆𝖚𝖌𝖚𝖘𝖙

I can't believe it.

She stayed.

After everything she saw, her entire idea of what's real shattering in front of her eyes, she still stayed.

Granted, she ran at first. But ultimately, she chose me.

She chose me. I thought, feeling nearly giddy at the idea.

She could've walked away, found someone else. But she didn't.

I don't think that I'll ever understand why she chose a monster over living a normal life, but I'm forever grateful. Because, to be completely honest, even though I told her she could go find someone else, if I had ever seen her with another man, I may not be able to control my urge to kill him.

Rolling my eyes at my animalistic protective instincts, I decided to revel in the presence of my mate.

After our discussion, and the amazing, surreal moment that happened afterwards, I pulled her from the porch and into the living room, where we were both now seated on the couch, her head resting on my shoulder as she slept peacefully.

I can't believe she let me kiss her.

I thought back to the incredible moment when her lips touched mine. She didn't pull back, she didn't run from me. She stayed.

I looked down at the sleeping angel curled up beside me, smiling at the sound of her soft breathing.

"What did I do to deserve being paired with you?" I whispered, tenderness leaking into my voice.

An abrupt knock on the door interrupted my thoughts.

Grumbling, I got up from the couch, careful not to wake Heaven in the process, and made my way to the door.

Swinging open the door, I was met with the face of one of my pack members, Tara.

"Alpha," Tara bowed her head in greeting.

I gave a swift nod in acknowledgment, and motioned for her to raise her head.

"What have you come here for?" I questioned. It was rare for pack members to randomly show up at my house uninvited.

"Beta Antonio has sent me as a messenger," she responded, "He wanted me to tell you that he caught two rogues around the edge of the border, and now has them in one of the holding cells."

The mention of the rogues that had been hanging around the territory lately sent me into a bad mood.

"I'll be right there," I growled out, slipping on my shoes as I made my way through the door.

All of a sudden, I remembered my sleeping mate in the other room. I didn't want to leave her alone again.

Glancing back into the house, an idea sprung in my mind.

Looking back over to Tara, I spoke.

"How would you feel about doing a special favor for me?"

✧ ✧ ✧

𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖛𝖊𝖓

I woke up abruptly to the sound of a loud thud.

"Ow!" a female voice yelled, "God damn heels are about to make me break an ankle."