My Own Room

"Finally, We're here. it's even better than the pictures!"

I said to my mom as I pulled my black suit case out of the trunk. I could not help but stare up at the two- story farmhouse, Fading and cracked red bricks made up the outer walls, the white shudders around the windows, welcomed you in as well as the finished oak door. A white porch wrapped around the front of the house, welcoming anyone to come and sit a while, it could have been the front cover for "Better homes and gardens." In the back-yard of the house I noticed two things; One, the torched foundation of what must have been a barn, and two, a large forest, which must have stretched back at least five miles.

"I knew you'd love it! and you won't have to share a room with me, you'll get your own room!"

I shrieked with excitement, as a child would after he has received a puppy. My mom had never been able to afford more than a one room apartment. She was finally able to get an excellent job at, "Goodman plastics" in "Baltimore, Maryland". The place helped her buy this house which at the time seemed perfect, but little did I know, this house was nothing but a beautiful trap...

I walked into my room for the first time, I loved it, but it could use some help. The room was empty except for my new desk and my bed. From the bed you could see the green tops of tall oaks, pines, and maples all stretching their limbs to the bright blue summer sky. I noticed, on the windowsill hung a small wooden cross. I said to myself,
That would look better on the door." I moved the cross and replaced it with my wind chimes, I didn't think much of it, and just let it go.
I put a dresser in my small closet and had set a few nick-knacks on the top, I turned around for a couple seconds to grab a folded pile of clothes to put away. I felt a presence in the room with me, I have always felt this kind of thing, when my grandma was alive, she told me I was special, sensitive to things, others couldn't see, she told me she was that way too, and not to be afraid, so I wasn't afraid. I turned around, too see a small boy, he wore Victorian era clothing. I knew he wasn't alive, by his pale complexion, and the dark circles under his eyes, he had what looked like soot all over his face. He must have been killed in that barn fire. I had no fear of him, so I thought he was a good spirit, but something kept telling me to tell him to leave, I ignored the warning, like an idiot.

"Well, hi there, little guy! My name's Miya, What's your name?" He seemed a little afraid, he must not have realized I could see him. He looked all over the room, looking for the person I was talking to.
"Me?" he said, confused
"Yes, you!"
"Mm... Max" he said hesitantly,
"Hi Max, don't be scared, I won't hurt you!"
"Miya, how can you see me, no one's seen me since I died." I looked to the ceiling, as if a way to explain this to such a young kid would be written across it.

"well?" Max said

" I can see folks who aren't living any more, like you." He seemed to ponder this a couple seconds then he said,

"Will you let me hangout with you sometimes? It gets lonely here"

"I said, sure bud!" He disappeared just as he came. A voice in my head, I recognized to be gram said,

"no, Miya! it's a trap he's evil, he just got you to invite him in!"

I had turned back to my dresser. I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned to see gram behind me, she sometimes does this just to talk, this time she had a serious expression on her face.

"Gram, that little boy is not even close to evil, he just wants a friend." I said with a little twinge of anger flaring.

"Miya, Evil spirits disguise themselves well. He's not a child!"

"Gram, you're just jealous because I'm talking with another ghost besides you!" her concern changed to anger.

"Jealous! Jealous! Fine, you find out for yourself, child you will come running, begging me to tell you how to get him out!"