𝐱. DIAGON ALLEY

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER TEN ▬▬▬▬▬

"I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! YOU'RE going on a quest?!" Esmerelda said excitedly to the son of Poseidon. She had ran into him on her way back to the Hermes cabin and he had just finished a meeting with Chiron and Mr. D. She was glad to see that he hadn't been incinerated by the wine god and was instead given a quest.

"Not like I had much of a choice..." He sighed heavily. "Let me guess, you're one of those kids who wants to go on quests too, aren't you?"

"Of course," she exclaimed. "It gets quite boring here in camp. Sure we're allowed to roam New York, but that's only on the weekends and it gets quite boring. Do you already have the other two campers picked out?" A small part of her hoped that he had picked her.

He must have seen the look on his face because he apologized first. "Sorry, I picked Grover and Annabeth had already volunteered herself."

"Darn," her shoulders slumped in disappointment. "So what's your quest about anyways?"

"Not sure if it's okay to tell you," he said nervously. "But I think I can tell you the prophecy."

"You shall go west, and find the god who has turned,

You shall find what was stolen, and see it safely returned,

You shall be betrayed by one who calls you a friend,

And you shall fail to save what matters most in the end."

She frowned. "So you're going to retrieve a stolen object... but what was that last line? 'You shall fail to save what matters most in the end'? It just said that you'd retrieve it."

She noticed him tense up at the mention of the last line. "I'm not sure," he said, clearly lying.

She decided to let it go. "Well, I hope you guys stay safe. As exciting as quests are, there's a reason not many people come back alive from them—sorry, probably shouldn't have said that. Anyways, I think you'll be fine. You have wicked good sword skills, Annabeth's a brilliant strategist, and Grover's a satyr and all satyrs are good with their reed pipes. Plus, he could smell a monster a mile away and warn you guys."

His shoulders seemed to relax. "Thanks," he said, letting out a breath. "I needed that. I've been worried ever since... well ever since I've been claimed."

He must be terrified out of his wits, she realized. "You'll be okay. And so will Annabeth and Grover. Now go and pack up. I heard quests are urgent."

╞═════𖠁𐂃𖠁═════╡

Percy, Annabeth, and Grover were long gone the next day, having been starting on their quest. The weather at camp still wasn't very pleasant, unlike when Esmerelda had been claimed. While the storm had been bad, it was gone the next day. But today, the storm had yet to cease.