Twenty Eight

Light re-entered the room about five minutes after Matsuda left, and L left him alone to get the locations they needed from Misa.

L just hoped that Kira would be at one of them, as he returned to the main area for now.

-

Light came in about twenty minutes later, a piece of paper in his hands as he walked in and sat down beside L at the computers.

"Three locations," Light said suddenly as he passed the paper, and L gingerly took it from him, holding it up high between two fingers as he examined it.

Most of these areas weren't far from HQ, and L was sure that one of them must be the place he was taken to and held by Beyond Birthday before he was killed.

Birthday- a problem. What were they doing to do about him? He possessed the eyes of a shinigami, which, according to Misa and Rem, would allow him to see the name of anyone, which he could then tell Kira.

But Kira already thought Misa and L both were dead, and the third Kira is dead as well, so... it's only the two of them and Kira's shinigami they had to really worry about now.

Perhaps it'd be easier just to kill them both with the notebook, but it definitely would feel too wrong to do it. He would be no different than Kira.

He sighed, placing the paper into Light's lap as his own thumb instantly came up to press against his lips in thought.

L didn't ever really have a sense of humor, but how funny was it that the only two remaining threats were pretty much just carbon copies of Light and himself? It was so strange that it had just come down to them, so coincidental that L almost couldn't believe it.

He suddenly stood up and felt Light's eyes upon him as he walked towards the door.

"We need to come up with a plan," he stated, everyone turning to look at him. "Light-kun, what do you think?"

"Well, it'd be foolish of us to just go to each hideout and see which one he's at," Light murmured, deep in thought. "But what else can we do?"

"We should just go in groups or something," Matsuda suggested. "Mogi, Ide, Near and Aizawa, the chief, Mello and Matt, and L with Light and myself. We'll each go to one of the three hideouts and if we spot Kira, we'll call the others for backup!"

"It is rather... foolish," L replied honestly, taking a pastry from the tray Watari brought into the room, "But I suppose that it could actually work."

So that's what they planned to do. It was dangerous and dumb, but it's all they could've done.

Light felt rather anxious on the way to the second location written on the paper, the location familiar.

It was where they'd found L's body.

His breath caught in his throat at that, and L looked over at him.

"What's the matter, Light-kun?" the older of the two asked gently, trying not to draw Matsuda's attention so that he'd just be quiet and keep driving.

"This place is where..." Light began, but L interrupted.

"Where I was murdered before? I know, Light-kun, but please don't worry." He took Light's hand in his own as he continued to speak, "I will not let it happen again."

Light gave a nod, leaning in for a quick kiss that Matsuda didn't see or notice at all.

And the ride to the hideout was over before they knew it. They stepped out into the slightly wooded area, and Matsuda drew the gun that Mello had given him even though it was illegal here. Light tucked Misa's Death Note into his jacket in case they absolutely needed it before they began to look around a little.

Walking up the hill and through the trees, they came to the trail that Kira had walked upon, L in his arms, demanding to be put down.

In the distance was the building L had been held in. He walked over to it, opening the door and inspecting the inside with Light by his side.

The cut ropes and the chair were still there, and L frowned grimly.

"This is where they kept me," L muttered, voice so quiet that Light almost didn't catch it. "I stayed here for days, alone - with the exception of seeing Beyond Birthday every time I had to eat - before I was taken outside in a rush."

Light was quiet, listening. L took a breath, walking over to the chair, touching it with his fingertips and running them over the hard wood of it.

"It was the first time I had gotten to see the actual sunlight and feel its warmth in however long it had been, the first time since then that I felt the grass and dirt beneath my bare feet. And in an instant, it had all been taken away from me. I died in Kira's presence, but I knew that you were innocent after all- and that alone was enough to cut through the pain I felt and bring me peace when I left this earth."

Light was suddenly behind him, his hand gently stroking the detective's shoulder to soothe him.

"And then the next thing I remember," L continued on, "I was waking up alone in the funeral home, so I was quite confused as to what was going on. I knew I had died, so suddenly waking up was odd. Then I talked to Miss Amane on the phone, but I had not known it was her. And then I ended up back at the task force headquarters after I slept. And that's all."

"I'm sorry that it happened to you," Light told him, gently turning L to face him. "But you're not going to die again anytime soon. I won't allow it."

"Nor will I, Light-kun," L sighed as Light cupped his cheek. "I cannot leave you behind again."

Light nodded, but before they could kiss, Matsuda was calling them, pushing the door open. L and Light stepped back from each other, looking over at Matsuda, whose eyes were wide.

"Guys, I think they're here."

L and Light shared a look before they followed Matsuda outside, coming to a halt all of a sudden.

Light drew in a breath, biting his lip as his eyes widened slightly. Matsuda's jaw dropped, and L stared on ahead.

And it was like looking into a warped mirror.

There, before them, stood Beyond Birthday, as well as Kira himself: Taro Kagami.

-

Here's a little update hehe. I think there's enough story for about two more chapters !!!

I'm glad to be continuing this instead of dropping it. Ily guys <3