xɪɪ | ᴀ ᴄᴀʟᴍ ʙᴇғᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴏʀᴍ

𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆, as the sun barely touched the peaks of the tallest trees in the park and the dew was yet to dry upon the greenery, Grace Burgess sat patiently, observing the way wind played with the branches barren from...

     𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆, as the sun barely touched the peaks of the tallest trees in the park and the dew was yet to dry upon the greenery, Grace Burgess sat patiently, observing the way wind played with the branches barren from the chill.

     Her eyes followed a tiny sparrow dancing around the puddle on the ground — how free it looked as it dipped its skeletal talon in the water, bouncing back when the cold waters splashed its beak. How free it was, unburdened by the human frivolities.

     Lost in her pondering, she did not hear the heavy footsteps approaching over the crunching gravel before Inspector Campbell called her name.

     "You were not involved in the conflict that ensued last night, I was made aware. Dear God, if I had known you would be involved with this ugly business at all, I never would have let it happen." His eyes swept over her figure, looking for any sign of injury til Grace reassured him with a shake of her head.

     "No sir, they sent me away before the IRA men arrived. But that does not mean I didn't listen."

     His voice held a note of urgency. "Explain, Grace."

     "I hid by the backdoor I slipped out of and managed to retrieve possibly crucial information for our mission," she conferred, noticing the way Campbell's eyes lit up almost predatory.

     "Truly?"

     "Last night, while I observed the entire ordeal and the savagery that they inflicted upon those men..." She stopped for a moment, taking in a breath of cold air.

     "I believe something inside me changed. I no longer feel the need to avenge my father. The hatred that I brought here with me is gone and therefore my reasons for joining the service.."

  "You want to resign?"

     Grace met his aghast gaze, afraid of saying the wrong thing. "I think our mission has come to a natural end, after all, I believe I know where the guns are hidden."

     "Firstly, can I have your guarantee that Caterina Cardinale and Thomas Shelby won't be harmed? Once the guns are found our military mission will be over and we can leave the city as we found it."

     The man beside her sighed exasperatedly. "Grace, darling.." Yet she urged her request forward.

     "I want your word as a gentleman that they would not be harmed."

     "Two avid sinners, why would you want to save them? You've taken liking to the Italian harlot, Grace, haven't you?" Averting his eyes from her, a sour look crossed the Inspector's face. Now when he was closer than ever in taking down their wretched empires..

     "Sir, I... A residue of sympathy." She blurted out, lacking the words to describe the perplexing sense insecurity growing in the pit of her stomach.