xxɪɪ | ғᴀᴍɪʟɪᴀʀ ғᴀᴄᴇs

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐋𝐘 𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐘 𝐓𝐎  return to their everyday lives once the company returned from their London escapade

     The days prolonged endlessly, and though she wouldn't admit it, Caterina looked over her shoulder more frequently than before. Darby Sabini was biding his time, patiently, waiting to strike back for the act of disrespect they preformed in the capital.

     She waited as he turned the locks on the door, content with their evening ritual. Thomas would always wait until all the other workers trickled out of the company offices, one by one as the night settled over Birmingham. He'd wait until Caterina finally dropped her pen in exhaustion or her fingers started to hurt from pressing down on the typewriter and decided to call it a night.

     As wonderful as becoming legitimate sounded in theory, no one had warned them of the incessant amount of legal paperwork they'd have to pour over on daily basis. Every penny had to be accounted for, every crate that was shipped, every meeting written down on paper.

     "I'll head to Lizzie's. Can't wait to tell her she'll be working for us." Caterina said, pushing her hands deeper inside the coat pockets as she watched Tommy check the locks one more time before they headed down the road.

     Sometimes they'd end up in The Garrison for a round of drinks, or he'd drive them down to the Cut to talk and smoke a pack or two before they headed to Watery Lane. It was almost domestic, the comfortable silence in which they'd sit for hours, exchanging bits of their past lives, planning a future.

     "Things are starting to happen and I need people we can rely on. And I've seen you struggle with all the unnecessary paperwork." He hid his smirk behind his hands cupping the flame against the tip of his cigarette.

     He certainly knew how to push her buttons because Cat flashed him a withering glare. "Oh do shut up, I'm not struggling."

     In truth, they were quite understaffed.

     What kind of sensible woman would come work for a known gangster, sully her reputation and possibly put her life in harm? Those that accepted the job didn't last a month once they took a look at the books, two at most. It was her way of repaying Lizzie for everything she gave her; protection when she needed it, and a roof over her head. She was the one person that kept her sane and whole for years, and the least she could do for her was to give her a proper job, with a proper pay as an opportunity to start her life afresh.

     "I need one of the boys from the shop deliver me the full transaction list for this week." Caterina changed the subject stealthily.  "You need to find something to invest the excess in, we can't just keep hoarding the bills in the company safe."