The wood croaked and rattled on its hinges as you ascended, certainly trying to accommodate to the new weight being tossed onto it after so many years

The wood croaked and rattled on its hinges as you ascended, certainly trying to accommodate to the new weight being tossed onto it after so many years. There was a small gap between the ladder and the flooring of the attic, so you had to hike yourself up. Chucking the broom up and in, you cracked your knuckles to prepare for the worst.

This is already a workout. Lurching forward, you pulled yourself up with the remaining upper body stregnth you possesed and let out a dry wheeze.

Once you were up, you realize it actually isn't too bad for being frontedly untouched for 4 or 5 years. However, in this case of thick dust and lack of light, you were in desperate need of a latern and a pair of gloves. You crept forward, uncaringly swinging the besom around to avoid spider webs in your face.

Your peace was shortlived as you directed your attention towards an uneven part of the wall, frowning. Here, the delicate wood had begun to rot and concave inward. Now, with a covered mouth, you kept your walk.

Your booted foot struck a box and a sudden, angry noise emmitted in the dim room and made you shriek out in fear, dropping the broom. The sound of fluttering wings and a moving, grey object drew your attention away from where you were stepping - now, stumbling. Words were being formed in your mouth before you could completely react rationally, panic taking over.
You mind began the steady process of explication as you dodged the unidentifiable object, its presence becoming increadingly unwelcomed and terrifying by the second.
It's a bat. And bats carried disease.

First day out of the city and you're going to get rabies. Great! You scrambled to cover your head and neck and raced around the area despite the webs and dust clinging to your skin and clothes.
You bumped yourself against the first sight of glass - luckily, it was a window, and opened it at the last second, anticipating the chase of the little rodent. Fortune worked in your favor, and it manically darted straight out and into the rainy afternoon.

Slamming the window shut, you let out a breath you felt yourself holding. You were now covered in string from head to toe and grumbling in anger.
You gotten rid of it. But at what cost?
Your good shirt. and your newly-cleaned hair.

" Thy reign above, " You cursed, chilled to the bone by the film that encased your body. You shook it off and gabbed your broom, fully truamatized by the attick.

You had no time to inspect any of the paintings laying on the wall or the boxes strung around, you didn't feel up to it anymore.

Despite your ignorance, a painting of a gracious woman sat in the dusty corner of the room. With the erect poise of a bluebood-you'd have mistaken her for the parliament holder.

In the dim light of the moon, she is waiting.

A quick shower did you well.

After getting rid of the web-coated garments worn, you chose something more casual for the day. It should become a habit to remind yourself that this part of the country wasn't as chilly nor desiccated as your home town, and that every outfit did not require a jacket.. but today is an exception.

The suitcase in the entrance was now dragged back into your chosen bedroom and rid of its contents. The clothes had been folded neatly, and with half the work being done, you simply began storing them in various places - The wardrobe, shelves, and on the floor in a vain promise to hang them up later. You remind yourself to buy a few books to fill the empty hollows of the nightstands and armoires.

You spun around and met with the neat, blanked matress on the floor. Though you were still drying your hair... resting wouldn't hurt. The worst that could happen is a fever.

You arrived here at approximately 4:50 A.M due to ill time management and spontaneous departure. Making light of the situation, it was about time for well-deserved nap. The city had never slept, but change wasn't unbidden.