34. The True Story

'Where are you going?'

'Back to the manor.' Pulling up my dress, I sped up as much as possible. 'I've got to change into my trousers. I can't ride a horse in this thing!'

'We can't do that. Not enough time. Karim!'

The bodyguard appeared beside us. 'Yes, Sahib?'

'Have a carriage brought around!'

'A carriage?' I protested. 'But—'

'I have timed several instances of your changing your garments, Miss Linton. Let me assure you, we do not have sufficient time.'

Grumbling and muttering something about insufferable men, I followed Mr Ambrose to the driveway in front of the manor. Halfway there, Karim came racing down the road on the box of a carriage. Not far behind came Lady Samantha, red-faced and wide-eyed.

'Quick, Sahib!' Karim barked, throwing open the carriage door. 'We're being pursued!'

'Rick!' the marchioness called out. 'Rick, wait, don't! The wedding is tomorrow! There's no need to do this!'

'To do what?' Mr Ambrose demanded, throwing Karim a look as he hoisted himself up into the carriage. 'What is she going on about?'

Karim's face morphed into a painful scowl. 'I, um...may have come rushing in there shouting for a carriage for you and the Sahiba. She seemed to come to the mistaken conclusion that you and Miss Linton had the intention of eloping.'

'E...what?'

'Don't do this, Rick!' Lady Samantha was doing an impressive job of catching up with a coach drawn by galloping horses. 'Don't break your mother's heart!'

'Get the horses to move faster!' Mr Ambrose ordered as he pulled me into the carriage. 'And you, Miss Linton, stop laughing like a maniac!'

'S-sorry! I d-don't think that's p-possible, Sir!' Gasping, I curled up on the floor of the coach. Somewhere above me, Karim shouted encouragement to the horses.

'Gee-up!'

'Don't, son! We've already put up all the garlands in the church and the guests are ready and waiting! Rick! Don't do this!'

Unable to stop myself from grinning like a fool, I leaned out of the window and waved to Lady Samantha. 'Don't worry! We'll be back from Gretna Green soon!'

'Gretna—!' A hand grabbed me by the back of the neck and pulled me rather forcefully back into the inside of the carriage. Two cold, sea-coloured eyes met mine. 'Correct me if I'm wrong, Miss Linton, but isn't Gretna Green a certain town in Scotland where couples who plan to elope without the consent of their parents routinely travel to get married?'

I batted my eyelashes up at him. 'Why, indeed, I believe it is, Sir.'

'You, Miss Linton, are the most devious person I have ever met in my life.'

Patting his arm, I beamed up at him. 'Knowing your little sister, I take that as the highest of compliments.'

After that, we drove along in silence. Karim kept the coach-horses at a dead run, and not in a metaphorical manner. If he kept this up, they would drop dead sooner or later. The pounding of the hooves and the rattling of the wheels combined made such a racket that my eardrums almost exploded, and conversation was completely impossible. I didn't try, in any case. Right now, I was far too concerned with my own thoughts. Spread in front of me lay the items I had pilfered from Lord Dalgliesh's pockets. Could they provide some clues?

Let's see...

The keys. The snuffbox. The wallet. A golden pin. A handkerchief with the monogrammed initials L.D.H.D...