43. A Stormy Night

Breathless, I gazed up at the towering figure of Mr Rikkard Ambrose above me, that one word echoing in my head.

'Mine!'

I expected him to pounce on me, but he took me completely by surprise when he picked me up from the bed again.

Huh? What was going on?

Gently, he lifted me and, turning me in the air, placed me on my feet with my back towards him. I tried to turn around to face him, but he grasped my shoulders, keeping me in place. What was he doing? What this his way of trying to prove I was his? If so, I didn't think much of it. I—

That was the moment when his fingers touched the buttons at the back of my dress.

Oh.

My breathing sped up. This was...not what I had expected. I had inspected ferocity. I had expected fire, melting everything between us in a violent explosion of need. Instead, he was gentle. Loving. Everything I had never thought he could be.

The first button popped open. A moment later, a featherlight kiss brushed over my skin in the very same spot. Shivering, I felt a tingle travel down all the way to the bottom of my spine.

'Are you still certain you don't want to be mine?' a familiar cool voice whispered into my ear.

No. No, I'm not sure at all!

'Yes,' I croaked.

Another button opened, and another kiss caressed my skin. 'My little ifrit...you are mine! Now and forever.'

I opened my mouth to protest—but the only thing that came out was a little gasp, as another button opened and a kiss left a brand at the centre of my back.

'I've heard you received quite a few presents today.' Straightening, Mr Ambrose slid his hands up my sides until they rested on my shoulders. 'It's time to unwrap my present.'

'Y-your present? What do you mea—'

My words abruptly cut off when Mr Ambrose slid my dress off my shoulders and it fell down my back. My breathing turned hectic. Heck! Why was I nervous? I had done this already! I was an experienced woman! Experienced! Expe—

From behind me, Mr Rikkard Ambrose's arms wrapped around me and he pulled me into a gentle, loving embrace.

No.

No, in this I was not experienced. But I so wanted to be.

Please, hold me! Hold me tighter!

As if he could read my mind, his arms tightened around me. Even through multiple layers of undergarments, I could feel his hard chest pressing into me from behind, hard. With a jerk, he pulled the dress off the rest of the way and, with a soft rustle, it fell to the ground. There, it was soon joined by my petticoat, and my corset. I still hadn't turned towards him. Even if he had let go of me, I for some reason didn't feel able to. I felt so...so...shy?

Pull yourself together, Lilly! Or better yet, pull the rest of your clothes off!

His hands came to rest on my shoulders. They felt like burning brands, separated only by one single, thin layer of cloth from my body. My heart sped up again, pounding against my ribs with an unrelenting rhythm.

'Shh...' Gentle fingers began to massage the back of my neck, making me sigh and lean back against him. His arms enveloped me and, from above, he pressed a kiss on top of my head. In that moment, it was as if I were protected from anything and everything. When his hands slid to my shoulders and slipped the chemise down my arms, my heart was calm again. Safe. At peace.