Chapter 9

Colby's P.O.V

  Today was unusual than my usual days. Sam didn't walk with me on the way to school, it was gloomier than usual and I wasn't in the mood for music. It just all felt blunt; although I was excited to see Sam after yesterday.

I picked up speed, not wanting to have to deal with any jocks today and headed to school. After the beating I had received last, the fear of being bullied is slowly becoming a reality.

Chandler and his crew had been beating me whenever they can or whenever I'm away from Sam. It hasn't been bad to the point where I needed an ambulance but it ended with me passing out previously.

I walk into school and through the halls of it, heading towards my locker. I put in the usual and took out the needed, shoving them in my bag. I shut the locker and zipped up my bag.

I smiled lightly once Sam walked into the school, not bothering to even look at me. I furrowed my eyebrows and walked over. "Hey-" "Not now." He muttered and slammed his locker shut, making me jump.

I watched in stun as he walked away and blinked in slight confusion. "Alright then." I mumbled and walked after him, seeming as we had the same class. Today was thankfully a Friday and after this long, long week I'll finally get to have my freedom.

-

I glanced over at Sam once his pencil snapped and he let out low profanities. I furrowed my eyebrows and handed him my own. He snatched it and returned to writing. I frowned lightly and sharpened his up.

I carried on with my notes and glanced at him once in a while. I don't think he had a good morning. I let it go for now and decided to talk to him at lunch; maybe he'll cool off by then.

I watched as he glanced at Katrina and back at the board every once in a while. Has something happened between them?

(T i m e S k i p)
   Lunch hour

I walked through the halls and inside empty classes as I look around for Sam. He hadn't shown up at our usual lunch table which worried me since he always tells me to find him there.

I let out a sigh and returned to the noisy cafeteria our school holds. Walking into the cafeteria, my heart dropped spotting Sam at Katrina's lunch table along with her and her friends.

I was left with parted lips and a hurtful expression. I've spent almost the full lunch hour searching for him, and there he is along with his girlfriend. Notifying me wouldn't be so hard, now would it?

I dropped my head lightly and walked to our usual lunch table. I sat down and reached into my bag, grabbing my packed lunch. I unwrapped my turkey sandwich and bit into it, letting the delicious sensation distract me from the loneliness I'm currently facing.

Sam is basically my only friend in school, so ditching me kind of hurt knowing he knew I had no one else. I can't change anything, now can I?

Soon enough, the school bell rang and it was time to return to our last few classes. I willingly stood up and grabbed my trash along with my bag. I slung the straps over my shoulders and walked towards the nearest trash can.

I threw in the empty wrappings and followed the rest out of the cafeteria..

-

I spot Sam in the near distance as he climbed up his porch, making eye contact with me. I looked away and shoved my hands into my pockets, just wanting to return home. I wonder what happened to him..

626 words