Chapter 21

Megara had definitely discovered her favorite part about being in Winterfell: No handmaiden. Cersei had of course decided she needed Rosemary as well as every other capable girl in Winterfell, which meant that there was no one to assign to her. With the opportunity to enjoy freedoms she hadn't in King's Landing, Megara was more than happy to don a pair of thick pants and a warm cotton shirt. Fur lined boots had never felt better with a pair of daggers inside, and her favorite jet black cloak made her smile.

In the dark of her chamber, dressed in those clothes, she hadn't felt quite as at home in a while. If she closed her eyes she could almost feel a light black cloth cover her lips as toxic air tickled her face and white grass grazed her legs. Another walk to the active fire-mountains of Asshai, to check for freshly hatched dragon eggs with Ellie or to gather ingredients with her father for the Alchemists.

She felt an ancient pain in her ribcage, and hit her own chest before getting to her feet. It was stupid to feel that way. Stupid and childish – if she was in Asshai she'd either be dead or responsible for her own mother's death, so what was the point in missing that place?

Still. Before that moment she had only ever missed her father, or her friend, or the ability to defend her people from her mother. She hadn't missed the ocean of white grass, or the smell of the wind, nothing of Asshai itself. Not until then. She hadn't missed the blue fire, or the way there was always some strange light coming from the Alchemist's tower that lit up almost a mile into the distance.

She shouldered the chamber door open and pushed it shut behind her, setting off to explore the Castle of Winterfell. She was well aware of the fact that Tyrion was still at the Brothel and Jaime was attending the King, leaving her with no one to talk to and nothing to do until Nightfall. That was another thing she intended to enjoy much like the absence of Rosemary and the King's rules.

Since she had Jaime had explored a fair amount before returning to the Castle, she felt no desire to leave the walls just yet. However, after an hour or two of similar corridors, she decided fresh air was in order. When she spotted one of the Stark boys training with two strangers in the yard, of course she wondered over.

"Lady Megara," Robb greeted in slight confusion and shock. She shook her head. "Is that not your name?"

"I think she means you don't need to call her 'Lady' my Lord, like Arya hates it when the servants do." The one who spoke had jet black hair and a serious look on his face, though he can't have been much older than her. She didn't even really think he was older than her at all. Regardless, she nodded at his words.

"Very well then, Megara." Robb bowed and she nodded. "Have you come to see how North Men fight?"

She shook her head and made her way over to the sword rack, drawing two of the shorter and blunter blades, before meeting the red headed male's eyes in challenge. "I believe that's a challenge Theon."

"You can't really mean to fight me."

She smirked, and pointed at Robb, Jon and Theon in turn, making a calling gesture with her finger. "You're insane." However, the idea was clearly growing inside of his head. So she decided to force the matter, but untying her cloak and taking a swing at him, which he barely dodged.

"Very well," Theon attempted to attack by himself for a while, but found himself unable to even strike her blades as she dodged every strike with grace utterly unfamiliar to him. Eventually, he called for Robb and Jon to help, but between the three of them the most they managed to strike was metal.

She however, had no problem landing the occasional hit to their shins or arms, ever so often choosing to make pointed strikes.

"She's too good," Theon commented. The girl shrugged with a small smirk, before swinging at him and hitting his sword aside. "The best in Westeros, certainly." They all turned to see Jaime standing with his arms crossed, watching the fight. She quickly made her way over to hug him, grinning broadly.