18|| Dates and Desserts

“WAIT! I’M DATING MY BOSS' NIECE?!?”

Instantly, I registered what I had said and looked around nervously to see if anyone was listening. Thankfully, everyone was busy with themselves and my co-workers were either in the back or out near the tables cleaning up, nowhere near us to listen.

“Well, yeah. I thought you knew that already since I saw you guys talking last time. I thought you were friends?” Jemma stated, phrasing it more like a question.

Turning to the blonde beside me, all I received was a sheepish smile. “Sorry? Kind of forgot to mention that...”

I was still in a state of disbelief as I looked between the two of them. But now that I knew, I could actually see the resemblance between them. The same dirty blonde hair, face shape, hazel eyes. But in my opinion, Leah's were brighter. No offence to my boss.

“Um... Ah- Would’ve been nice to know that. You know, for... reasons.”

My boss quirked an eyebrow but didn’t comment on that any further. “Anyways, you girls have fun. Enjoy your night.” We took that as our cue to head off, but before we could make it out of the shop, she called for me. “And Alyssa? If you hurt my baby niece in any way, I will hunt you down and teach you a very memorable lesson, you got me?”

Although she sounded all light and joking, I couldn’t help but note the flat seriousness underlying her tone. Nodding quickly, almost intimidated, I walked out of the shop with a breath of relief to have escaped from that.

Leah stood just outside with her hands in her pockets, smiling nervously as she rocked back and forth on her heels. “I should’ve mentioned that earlier...”

“As I said, would’ve been nice to know,” I quipped, marching ahead in the direction of her parked car. Admittedly, I wasn’t really mad, I just had no clue how I should act around my boss now.

I could hear her boots hit the pavement as she jogged to try and catch up. “Lyssa, wait. I’m sorry, I haven’t even thought about it until I came into the shop just now!” I felt her grasp my wrist as she tried to slow down my pace. “Babe, it honestly slipped my mind.”

At that, I came to a stop and turned to her. I couldn’t think about anything else now but the word she just called me with, everything else vanishing from my thoughts. “Babe, huh?” Even saying the word made my insides all giddy.

She seemed confused for a second before her expression changed into one filled with meekness. “Oh. That. I don’t have to call you that if you don’t like it. I could-”

“No, no. It’s fine, Leah. Actually, I like it,” I confessed as I scratched my forehead nervously.

My girlfriend paused her rambling, instead stared at me with such warmth radiating from her eyes. Told you her ones were better than Jemma's. “Good. That’s good. L-lets go grab some food then.”

We walked to her car and got in, turning on the heater before setting off, all the while with large smiles present on our faces.

About two minutes into the drive, I couldn’t hold in my curiosity any longer. “Where are we going to eat?”

“Somewhere.”

Rolling my eyes, I decided to just wait and see. “You know, I haven’t forgotten about just now. I have no idea how to act around my boss now- I mean, your aunt. And now she also knows what’s going on between us,” I remarked, silently stressing myself at the thought.

“Aunt Jem won’t care about what’s happening between us, trust me. She only did that to scare you,” she calmly noted. “Besides, she knows about me liking girls, so she’s cool with it.”