22|| Reveals and Pasts

“...how would he react?”

A few seconds of silence passed. My hesitance was enough of an answer for him.

Zach ran a hand through his short sandy hair, the frustrated lines on his face were clear as day. “Figures, out of all the guys I fall for, it had to be a straight guy with a girlfriend. What damn good luck I have,” he sarcastically quipped, shaking his head at himself.

His disappointment was saddening because I honestly didn’t know what would happen. My best friend had accepted me, and I’m sure he would do the same for Zach too, but the circumstances for them were a little different...

Zach had started nervously pacing in front of me, muttering under his breath like he was reprimanding himself for his choice of attraction. I couldn’t let him go on like this any longer.

“Zach,” I called out, causing his pacing to stop as he turned to me. “It’s not going to be so bad.”

“How do you know for sure?” he anxiously asked.

“I’m not... but I know my best friend. I just feel it in my gut that it’ll be alright,” I expressed. I saw uncertainty cloud his features. “I know it’s not much, but my advice is to not worry too much about it. You don’t have to tell him now, just when you’re ready. It can even be after you’ve gotten over him.” I hoped my words could convince him.

He accepted them for now as he nodded in resignation. “I guess. Maybe now isn’t the right time, but Gia has to know. I’ve got to tell her,” he said with sincerity.

I hummed in agreement, my heart warming at how much he cared about her. “Come on, let’s head inside. They might be wondering where we’ve gone.”

Zach nodded, and so we made our way to the entrance again and escaped the winter winds left outside. I was heading to the counter to order the food I originally promised, but Zach stopped me with a hand on my shoulder.

“I’ll order the food, you can go back to the others.” I looked at him curiously. “I just need some time to think, alone, ” he explained.

Nodding understandingly, I made my way to our friends unaccompanied, plopping back down into my seat next to Leah like I never left. “Who’s winning?”

“Me, obviously,” Riley boasted, brushing the non-existent dust off her shoulder.

I’m winning the competition, though,” my girlfriend mentioned, casually placing her arm on the back of my seat.

“Well I’m going to catch up, so don’t celebrate too soon, president,” Ashton retorted, trying desperately to hold onto his ego.

Leah snorted, not at all intimidated. “Keep on dreaming, Ashybaby.”

“Where the heck did you hear that?! Aly!” he accused, staring daggers at me. I just shrugged, looking all innocent-like.

Gia came back from her turn, blowing out a breath of air. “I’ve been taking your shots, by the way. And let me just tell you, you’re in last place now.”

“Gia! What! I thought you’d help me,” I whined, not liking the feeling of being dead last.

“I tried! I really did!”

“I don’t know how she does it,” Leah commented, “how she can get it into the gutter even with the baby bumpers up.”

“It’s a skill that only Gia has,” Ashton snickered.

“Guys! Stop ganging up on me,” Gia pouted, slouching into her seat.

I patted her head sympathetically. “Aww, G. Fine, I forgive you. Can’t blame you if you can’t bowl.”