Chapter 4

Chapter 4 

Men silently stepped from the trees and moved to create a line as I'd asked. They continued to emerge from the woods even as the line extended around the corner. Because of that, new rows started behind the first line. The shuffling continued until roughly five hundred gathered. So many men focused on me, all at the same time, made my stomach churn. If they were human...I suppressed a shudder at the thought. 

Ignoring the vast number, I moved toward the first man, nodded stoically, then turned to start the slow walk down the line. The Elders kept pace with me. I didn't bother pausing to meet anyone's eyes. Only my scent mattered. 

As I'd asked, those without a strong interest stepped out of the line and walked back into the woods. It allowed those behind them to move forward and take their place. When I reached the end, I turned around to walk it again. I paced the line several times in silence so all would get their fair chance. As the number remaining decreased, my mood lightened. Sam made note of names as needed. Soon only a handful of men remained. 

While my future loomed brighter, theirs dimmed. I nodded solemnly to those remaining and watched them melt back into the trees. I truly felt for them, but I'd experienced no attraction to any of them-no pull that Sam and other Elders and werewolves had assured me I would feel when-not if-I met the one. A triumphant smile wanted to break free, but I contained it, not wanting to offend anyone. Finally, my duty was complete. I breathed deeply of freedom, ready to go back to my room. 

Behind me, the Elders moved, reminding me of their presence. My mood shifted. The anger and betrayal from their lack of warning resurfaced. With a stiff back and tight mouth, I made my way toward the door and the waiting Elders. I didn't meet any of their eyes. 

Sam had hours during the drive to say something but hadn't, and now all of his secrecy had been for nothing. I hadn't found a mate. Did he realize the pointlessness of his gesture? I seriously doubted telling me in advance would have changed the outcome other than to make me nervous during the drive up. That, however, would mean I shouldn't be mad at him so I quickly disregarded the thought. Honesty was honesty. He should have told me. 

Walking the dirt path, which I realized I'd tread over several times in my socks, I saw a peculiar shadow on the ground melding with the shadow of the still open door. 

I looked up at the space behind the door and saw the flash of eyes just before a man stepped into view. I froze. My stomach dropped, and my heart did a strange little flip. Before I could take my next breath, a shiver ran up my spine and gooseflesh rose on my arms. My anger spiked, uncontrolled. 

"You have got to be kidding," I whispered to myself without thinking. I'd been so close to escaping. 

His filthy long, dark hair trailed in front of his eyes and shadowed his face into obscurity. An old, dull-green army jacket, just as filthy as his hair, hung from his frame while his bare feet shone pale against the black sweats he wore. I couldn't tell his age, the color of his hair, or the color of his eyes-because of the tangle of hair-but I could see the glint of them as he moved away from the door. 

He stalked toward me. I remained frozen and tried to deny the significance of the encounter as my stomach continued to do crazy little flips. Just before he reached me, he turned away and walked around the corner of the building, heading not into the woods as the rest had, but to the front of the building. 

I stared after him, momentarily confused. He'd recognized me. Just as I had him. Why had he turned away? Did it matter? Move! Escape before he changed his mind! 

Finally, my feet obeyed, and I lurched toward the door. 

"Sam, I've more than fulfilled any obligation I had to you or the pack. I'd like to leave tonight." The Elders stepped aside before I bowled them over.